• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7290 yoke - Dust shield/cover?

68Satellite440

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
I have a 7290 yoke that is missing the seal shield off of it. My reason for concern is the new seal from Dr Diff doesn’t fit that tightly around the yoke. So I’m afraid to continue forward with rebuild without some feedback. Seems like that shield has kind of a sleeve on the shaft that might be part of the tension of the seal? Is it safe without one?

FA827031-86B9-4AC5-86A6-D36D869A71A7.jpeg

I think the shield presses on to the raised shoulder portion of the shaft. That yoke looks pretty rough - it could be staining of the metal and the picture, not sure. You might be best served with a new yoke.

I think what you’re talking about is a yoke “sleeve”. That is a repair part. You should definitely get another sleeve pressed on by a quality machine shop or repair shop. Your yoke is worn right where the seal hits. A new sleeve will “build up and smooth out” the sealing area….so no more leaks. Option #2 is to buy a new yoke

I have a 7290 yoke that is missing the seal shield off of it. My reason for concern is the new seal from Dr Diff doesn’t fit that tightly around the yoke. So I’m afraid to continue forward with rebuild without some feedback. Seems like that shield has kind of a sleeve on the shaft that might be part of the tension of the seal? Is it safe without one?

View attachment 1656839
To answer the question, no. You don't need the dust shield. And no, the seal does not ride on it. It sounds like you have the wrong seal for the yoke.
And that might clean up. Hit it with some 180, then back to 320.

To answer the question, no. You don't need the dust shield. And no, the seal does not ride on it. It sounds like you have the wrong seal for the yoke.
And that might clean up. Hit it with some 180, then back to 320.
Well I don’t think Cass at Doctor Diff would send me the wrong seal in a prepared packaged kit.
He is probably one of the leading suppliers of 8 3/4 and Dana 60 parts. It just seemed like the seal wasn’t that tight of fit.

Polish your yoke and freeze it for 4 hours. Put a little silicon on yoke just before install. Have a block of wood say 2x3 4" long, the cup isn't very sturdy. So after you get sleeve started you might want to put block on top of cup. Took a few good hits with a 2 lb hammer, it's a tight fit!

Auto Transport Service
Back