73 A/C & Heater Cote

1971 - 1974 Mopars

1. Legoslen

Legoslen Member

Local Time:
    5:02 PM
    It is time to pull the A/C and Heater Core on my 73 Rallye Charger. Need to replace all the seals etc. this is a running/ driving car. Any suggestions on how to do this or where to start? Not even sure how the box is mounted. Tips to keep in mind so I don’t destroy anything etc...
    Thanks

2. '68 Charger

'68 Charger Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I'll answer the removal part.

As for the box removal, the main secure points are the bolt/nuts thru the firewall (4 or 5) and the hanging strap inside. Obviously you'll need to remove your heater hoses, disconnect the A/C lines at the firewall (do this before removing the firewall nuts) and your heater blower fan motor. And inside, your AC heater control and wiring to the box. A good ideal is to remove your pass. bucket seat or bench seat to give you better working room to drop the AC box.

I may have left out some small details but that's the jist of it.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Nacho-RT74

Nacho-RT74 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      actually you can keep the blower in place ( will come out attached with box ) and I think seats removal is not a need, but remove glovebox liner is the best to get room, specially for the internal bracket/strap.

of course as mentioned, all hoses conections on engine bay and also the blower cooling duct allong with the drain hose for condensation.

there is a bracket hold by an hex screw which helps to keep one of the refrigerant gas nipples in place. Loose that bracket too after remove the lines. It just helps to not twist the AC line when loosing or removing it.

wiring is easy, just disconect the lines arriving to the resistor unit inside, and of course the blower on engine bay ( ground wire and hot wire )

Vacuum lines can be some tricky. The plug is between A/C control and pedal brake area. Then you'll ned to gently pull it out from underdash

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Doug Larsson

Doug Larsson Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        2:02 PM
        I'll see if I can find the link to a website that sells the gasket kit. I did mine 3 years ago take lots of pictures of the hoses just in case they come off when taking it out of the car. Like they said above take the passenger seat out it makes it easier to remove. Be real gentle taking it out it's old and can be brittle in some areas . If you need any help just message me instead of asking me on here it will be easier.
        Found it.
        https://www.detroitmuscletechnologi...ater-box-rebuild-restoration-seal-gasket-kit/

20161216_194935.jpg 20161218_164628.jpg 20161211_194200.jpg 20161211_194206.jpg 20161211_194213.jpg 20161211_194235.jpg 20161211_194249.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
      • '68 Charger

'68 Charger Well-Known Member

Local Time:

Oops, I was thinking of a 1968-70 B Body box when I wrote that.

• Like Like x 1
        • Legoslen

Legoslen Member

Local Time:
          Wow thanks for all the info and pictures!! This is a great help!

• Doug Larsson

Doug Larsson Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          If you need any help message me.

• azmoparboy

azmoparboy Member

Local Time:
          Hi,

I’ve been down the same path as you are heading, doing work on my 1973 Charger. This website is so good at all of the work that you’ll be doing on your Charger. The guys that have posted for you here have a lot of experience. I’ve learned so much from them in the past. You’ve made a very good decision in joining and posting your question.

When I started my Charger I know very little about starting a car restoration. The only thing that I had that was beneficial to my new hobby was at the young age of 20 years old I joined the Air Force and became an aircraft mechanic. The Air Force taught me with, on the job training and maintenance manuals. I use this website as my, on the job trainer and I purchased a Chrysler body chassis service manual to further sharpen my mechanic skills, the best tool in my toolbox, at $75.00 is my first step into a job that I’ve never done.

Here is a picture of the manual that I purchase off of EBay. I wish you success, I know you’ll do just fine.

AZMOPARBOY

EF777136-7CF6-4A62-BD52-2846AE6A1317.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
          • rrTor-Red

rrTor-Red FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
            4:02 PM
            Word of advice, Lego...Take LOTS of pictures and label things!!! Sure, Jim's gasket kit has some pictures but as more insurance, take your own. Here are some of mine

20150117_150430.jpg 20150117_150437.jpg 20150117_170833.jpg 20150124_170318 (1).jpg

• Like Like x 1
            1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
              By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.