• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger cruise control add on at dealer?

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
Bought a '73 Charger SE. Has cruise control added. It's not the factory installed unit because the car didn't come with it. I'm wondering if the dealership installed it as it is a robust looking set up. Has anyone seen this type of set up before? Any info would be appreciated.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

image0.jpeg

Hard to say for certain but could be, just as possible would be a installation by a competent garage/shop or even possibly owner installed.

Dealer add on. My Sister had the same unit installed at the dealer in her 80's Dodge Dakota when she bought it new.

Dealer add on. My Sister had the same unit installed at the dealer in her 80's Dodge Dakota when she bought it new.

I was going to say the unit (especially the controls) looks like its from the 80s.

Thanks for all responses. It looks like terrywalker does have the same unit albeit it installed lower on the fender well because the small block has more room. With the big block taking up width in the engine bay they moved the windshield wiper resevoir up to the front beside the A/C condenser and put the cruise control brain box in its place.

So called "Dealer Installed" often isn't, the dealer sublets the install to a local shop that uses aftermarket kits... That looks like an ARA unit... A true dealer installed factory add-on kit from that time period used the standard Mopar servo... Years ago I bought four dealer add-on Cruise Control kits... This was the main component in those kits...

parts is parts 003.jpg

Bought a '73 Charger SE. Has cruise control added. It's not the factory installed unit because the car didn't come with it. I'm wondering if the dealership installed it as it is a robust looking set up. Has anyone seen this type of set up before? Any info would be appreciated.

View attachment 1336649

View attachment 1336650

View attachment 1336651

View attachment 1336652
No, that is an aftermarket add on unit that you could get at like a NAPA or car store.
As far as factory, my understanding was that Speed control was a 73 mid-year option and if you ordered it, it was (as Chrysler has doone in the past) sent in the trunk and dealer installed. However it was a factory unit as you can see in my pics. Wasn't on the build sheet either I'm told. 74 was the first year Chargers came from the factory with it installed and the washer reservoir was different as well, again see photos of my car
WP_20160716_017.jpg
WP_20141229_006.jpg
WP_20141208_005.jpg

No, that is an aftermarket add on unit that you could get at like a NAPA or car store.
As far as factory, my understanding was that Speed control was a 73 mid-year option and if you ordered it, it was (as Chrysler has doone in the past) sent in the trunk and dealer installed. However it was a factory unit as you can see in my pics. Wasn't on the build sheet either I'm told. 74 was the first year Chargers came from the factory with it installed and the washer reservoir was different as well, again see photos of my carView attachment 1338672View attachment 1338673View attachment 1338674.

You were told wrong... Plenty of N88 coded Chargers out there...

Cruise control was since they exist. Diff stuff is if the become more popular on later years and on mid and low price car lines.

Wild, can't go with you on that. Other years, yes but 72-73 it is not even listed for RW (B bodys) in the parts book.
The fellow I knew owned a local dealership. Vals Motors.
So who knows????
But his question was, is that a factory unit, and no it is not.

Sure is not factory unit.

If you check Dealers catalog at hammtramck (sp?) website, you can check they are between the options. 71/72 still with the old chromed stalk knob/button system, then since 73 with the all black newer stalk knob/button

Auto Transport Service
Back