• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger power brake booster

Moparkrazed

Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, was going to toss in my power brake booster during my lunch break today but I’ve got to remove two bolts before that happens. But something caught my eye. I took a pic so y’all can see what I’m looking at. Is the pivot point that’s undone from the brake hanger supposed to be raked over to the driver side like that? Then when the booster is installed it’s somehow pushed through the brace and booster eyelet? I can drop the dash pretty easy as the front windshield is out. Would I be better off installing the booster with the dash out and trying to move that pivot point through the brace when the booster is screwed down?
Separate question: I’m assuming I would need to add that pivot point to my 71 charger when I install the booster in it as it came with manual drum brakes and does not have that same bolt/pivot point.

IMG_7048.jpeg

That pivot pin looks like it's
stuck and rusted in place.
It's supposed to run thru
both sides of the pedal
bracket with the booster
pushrod in the center.
Held in place with a washer
and cotter pin.
The bellcrank will
compensate for any
differences in pedal ratio.

Last edited:
That pivot pin looks like it's
stuck and rusted in place.
It's supposed to run thru
both sides of the pedal
bracket with the booster
pushrod in the center.
Held in place with a washer
and cotter pin.
The bellcrank will
compensate for any
differences in pedal ratio.
That’s what I thought. I plan to pull the dash back out today I might have better access to it to try and dislodge. Would be just as good to find a similar size bolt without threads that go all the up to the head and use that instead? I don’t see how that could hurt it, but always good to ask for advice haha. Thanks for replying 1stmp, I really appreciate it.

That’s what I thought. I plan to pull the dash back out today I might have better access to it to try and dislodge. Would be just as good to find a similar size bolt without threads that go all the up to the head and use that instead? I don’t see how that could hurt it, but always good to ask for advice haha. Thanks for replying 1stmp, I really appreciate it.
You could use a bolt with
a bare shoulder but the
shoulder should be long
enough to clear the width
of the bracket. Also use a
Nyloc nut and washer, and
don't over-tighten. It's gotta
move some.
Also noticed the extra holes
drilled in the firewall for the
booster and it's mounting
bracket.
No problem on the
response. All here are glad
to offer their expertise and
past problem solvers.
Hope you have a great day!
DJ

Last edited:
You could use a bolt with
a bare shoulder but the
shoulder should be long
enough to clear the width
of the bracket. Also use a
Nyloc nut and washer, and
don't over-tighten. It's gotta
move some.
Also noticed the extra holes
drilled in the firewall for the
booster and it's mounting
bracket.
No problem on the
response. All here are glad
to offer their expertise and
past problem solvers.
Hope you have a great day!
DJ
Thanks man. I was able
To get the dash pulled and reinstalled the pin. Hope I never have to do that
Job again haha. I really appreciate everyone’s help, it’s awesome people on here don’t mind sharing advice. Thanks again yours.

Auto Transport Service
Back