• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger

Paul73

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to share my first project car with you all. I am rebuilding a 73 charger that was in an accident but I got a good deal on it as well as a parts car. I started working on it with my dad and we pulled the front end off of it today due to the damage that was done to it. This car is just a 318 automatic but it runs and is very clean with minimal rust and I was lucky that the frame and inner fender are okay and I will be using the door, fender and bumper off of the black car to save the other one since the black car has a lot of rust and a locked up engine. We made some good progress today and I’m going to work on getting everything else straightened out on the car so I can swap the panels on. can’t to be the only 73 charger in the parking lot at school!

5BF8E1DB-A00F-4C67-AB96-3B25B69C3CE2.jpeg

213CB056-3C65-4DBA-B00F-FF6EE2E286E6.jpeg

10D0F0B5-DE96-44B9-B5CD-5B5F312BCCDE.jpeg

Green car looks pretty darn clean and straight on the pass side.

Ouch on the driver side. Sounds like it looks worse than it is.

That parts car a factory sunroof car? What are the options/factory engine on that car?

You can absolutely make one nice car from those two cars. Looks like a lot of fun. Stay warm!

Good luck with your project. To me I see some areas of concern.

Yes it’s a factory sun roof car and I was originally going to fix that one but I can’t find a sunroof anywhere and it’s just a lot more work, it’s got power windows and had a luggage rack, also console shift and bucket seats and it’s got a locked up 400 that I can’t get unstuck but it’s a lot worse than it looks, quarters are shot as well as the frame rails and floors and deck lid but at least I’ll be able to save one car

Is the sunroof missing?

400 sunroof car is quite a bit more valuable than a 318 car. Especially if it's a 4 barrel car. Plus it's trippe black.

I'd be concerned on the green car about the A pillar/cowl area and the door striker area on the quarter panel.

It might be the photo angle, but they don't look kosher from here.

Swapping the drivetrain from the green car (including the K frame) into the black car is likely less work than fixing the quarter panel0 on the green car.

Yes it’s a factory sun roof car and I was originally going to fix that one but I can’t find a sunroof anywhere and it’s just a lot more work, it’s got power windows and had a luggage rack, also console shift and bucket seats and it’s got a locked up 400 that I can’t get unstuck but it’s a lot worse than it looks, quarters are shot as well as the frame rails and floors and deck lid but at least I’ll be able to save one car
I will guarantee you the green car is tweaked down in the left front. Your A piller is in, your b pillar in in and back. Better look the roof over closely. Good thing is there is more metal in that car than two from today.

That's what I was talkin about.

Yeah the sunroof is missing and I know the 400 car is more valuable but I looked down the spark plug holes with a bore scope and the cylinder walls are pitted and the engine is stuck so it pretty much needs a new engine. When I bought that car someone took the spark plugs out and it didn’t have spark plugs in it and it was sitting for a while so I’m not surprised at all that it’s locked up. If I had the money I would find another 400 or 440 even but it would be cheaper to do the other car the way I’m doing it. The black car has a rust free door and fender so it just works out easier. The a pillar section and cowl are straight but the striker area is bent a little and yes the front left is tweaked down a hair but I think I can straighten it out. I do a lot of metal fab and I got some ideas

You’re getting good advice to save the black one with parts from the wrecked 318 car.

If you’re competent with metal fab, surely it can’t be that hard to come up with a sunroof plug until you can track down a replacement. Swap the drivetrain from the wrecked one into the black one and save the 400 until you have time and resources to mess with it.

...or put in an aftermarket one temporarily.

Add up your options-

1973 DODGE CHARGER 318-150hp (8cyl-2V) AT
#4#3#2#1
Rallye 2dr Htp9400193002780041000
2dr Htp6900142002060031000
SE 2dr Htp8800180502600039100

Add:
340-240hp (8cyl-4V)20%
400-175hp (8cyl-2V)10%
400-255hp (8cyl-4V)25%
440-280hp (8cyl-4V)40%
4spd manual trans5%
Power windows3%
Bucket seats5%
Console w/shift5%
Rallye dash (Base)5%
Sunroof-sliding15%

Harvest everything you can off the parts car. Clips, fasteners, clamps, trim, body panels, wiring molded plugs etc etc before it goes to scrap.

Since you are at school and this is your first project, pull the door, grill, Fender etc off the black car to fix the green one. If you need rockers and inner Fender then find them from another source. Drive it and keep the black one in a barn and gather the remaining parts for it. You can build it at your leasure while driving the other.

Hang on to that black car for parts. You likely noticed the inner fenders are different between a big block and a 318 car. Lots of good stuff on the black. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Harvest everything you can off the parts car. Clips, fasteners, clamps, trim, body panels, wiring molded plugs etc etc before it goes to scrap.
Something on your mind there MN Biker?

I have the sunroof cartridge assembly for a 73/74 Charger, I was going to cut the hole into the roof of my 73 Charger and install it, but I have been having second thoughts about cutting my car. I would sell it for $1000. It is still in the shipping crate from when I bought it.

I appreciate it but I’m going to have to pass. 1000 is just a bit much for me and I’ve already started straightening out the wrecked car and swapping body panels and all that but thanks anyways.

No problem,you could graft the section of the roof into the other car if you want to have the sunroof option. I hope that you are parting out the right car. The big block sunroof car is much more rare and valuable than a green 318 Charger. Don't be short sighted and junk the wrong car because the other car is more work. AMD just came out with full quarter panels for the 73/74 Chargers so saving the sunroof car might not be as difficult as you think.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back