• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Dodge charger 4 bow headliner install

Texas charger 73

Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
I am fixing to install my own headliner. It's a 4 bow 73 Dodge charger. How do I determine which of the 3 holes the bows go in? I have my two pull wires in rear too. What's best way to install for a first timer. Do I turn all bows up to contour or roof or do they hang down? Thanks in advance

To find which holes just measure the distance between the listings on the headliner
and they turn up with the contour of the roof

Start at the rear and work your way forward. Dont forget the clips that secure the headliner at the sides. Pull it tight as you go

Can it be done with glass in place? I not looking for a show car.

I found the best tip is to make sure the white runner cloth is cut to the right lengths. I think the instructions on my headliner were to trim an inch or two in from the end of the bow once you slide it in, but I found that can cause bunching and wrinkling.

What you need to do is slide the bows into the runners and trim the ends of the runners off.

Put the headliner in and attach the hooks in the back, then start working your way forward and put the bows into the holes where they go. They'll be hanging down at this point.

Once all the bows are in place, and the hooks are secured, grab the front of the headliner and pull it forward. All the bows will pop up into place and it'll start to look like a headliner.

Pull the fabric forward and slip it onto the teeth at the top of the windshield to hold it in place, then go to the back and start getting wrinkles out. Like I said, expect to see some bunching and wrinkles where the runner cloth is too long and bunching up. If you see this, grab the fabric where the bunching is and start tugging it down until you hear the runner material tearing. Once you hear it starting to tear, give the cloth a tug towards the side of the car and see if all the wrinkles in that spot are gone. If so do the other side, and if not tear the runner until the wrinkles are gone. Do this for all the bows.

Once the wrinkles are gone, start gluing the sides using contact cement. And for holding the fabric in place while the glue dries I would suggest going to Staples or Office Depot and getting a bunch of those 1/2" black spring paper clips. They're cheap and work great. Once the glue dries, start putting on the back and side trim, and keep looking for any wrinkles that form and if you see any tug on the fabric until they are gone. Then pull the fabric at the front tight, slip it back onto the teeth, and attach the front trim.

Trim off the excess material, reinstall the dome light, and that should be it.

I found the best tip is to make sure the white runner cloth is cut to the right lengths. I think the instructions on my headliner were to trim an inch or two in from the end of the bow once you slide it in, but I found that can cause bunching and wrinkling.

What you need to do is slide the bows into the runners and trim the ends of the runners off.

yes , very good tip , I forgot about that , I had to do the same.

also , don't cut too much off or it wont pull tight

Auto Transport Service
Back