• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Front Fender Inner Rear Splash Shield Question

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
So now I know what happens when you buy a great priced roller and it is in pieces and the last owner gave up. :) But I am no where near done. :)
Anyway, I am wondering if there is a difference between the 73 W and R code splash shields. Done a fair amount of searching and I can find many used splash shields for a Charger based on the part number, but none for a Satellite/Road Runner. I've asked a few vendors and one says that they appear to be interchangeable and the other says that they are different. In the 73 Parts book it shows different part numbers but I can not seem to find any for sale for an R code B-Body.
I've included a pic of the 73 parts catalog and a pic from the 72 of the part in question.
Any help is welcomed! Thanks!

73PartsCatalogFenderShields.JPG 72FenderSplashShield.JPG

Last edited:
I wanted to update my findings since I went ahead and ordered the left side inner splash shield to see if it would fit. The W Code Part Number does indeed fit and line up with the holes on the R Code 73 Road Runner. Is it perfect in the pics? Not quite, but that was my initial test fit. Once I shifted everything the holes lines up! Looks close enough for a car that won't be driven in the rain. Still wondering/thinking that these parts in interchangeable.

012.JPG 017.JPG 014.JPG

Like Mark said they will bolt in they just don’t have the same outer edge.. I probably gave a used set but shipping these days would cost a fortune!!

I wanted to update my findings since I went ahead and ordered the left side inner splash shield to see if it would fit. The W Code Part Number does indeed fit and line up with the holes on the R Code 73 Road Runner. Is it perfect in the pics? Not quite, but that was my initial test fit. Once I shifted everything the holes lines up! Looks close enough for a car that won't be driven in the rain. Still wondering/thinking that these parts in interchangeable.

View attachment 1281101 View attachment 1281102 View attachment 1281103
Looks like you basically proved that they are interchangeable, mmmhhmmm. Lined up bolt holes and functional, purpose met, yep, looks like they'll work just fine.

Looks like you basically proved that they are interchangeable, mmmhhmmm. Lined up bolt holes and functional, purpose met, yep, looks like they'll work just fine.
The holes lineup the same because the firewall is the same, the outer edge perimeter folds because it’s plastic but it’s not the correct contour. If they were metal like 70 and back the difference would really show and probably not even be close to the holes..

Auto Transport Service
Back