• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Roadrunner 318 w/ 440 swap

Superspare

Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
Hey all! Finally pulling the trigger and getting my first mopar. I want to make sure that I am on the right page with pricing. I am looking at a 73 Roadrunner that was originally a 318. It looks like around 2003 the 318 was pulled and they dropped in a 440 crate motor from about 2000. It is pretty straight, no mechanical problems, minor electrical problems, a little surface rust and very minimal on the frame. I can't really find anywhere that determines how greatly getting rid of a numbers matching motor for a newer motor really affects value. Last thing I want is to invest a bunch of money in this thing and have it become a money pit. Any insight on value would be greatly appreciated.

00707_i6kOhgfuiGYz_0CI0jD_600x450.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome to the site!! But please post your questions in the right forum, which would most likely be this one 1971 - 1974 Mopars thanks.

Welcome from 7 hours north of you. Used to live in Ramona.

Welcome from Missouri!!

A 318 73 Roadrunner is not a super high value car.

However a Roadrunner (even a 318 car) is quite a bit more valuable than all but a very high option 400-4 Sebring plus.

I'd value the car as a 318 RR based on condition and other options and then add the value of the engine and associated parts at 50% of retail cost.

Non-matching numbers on a 318 car are arguably not important unless it's an oddity or a pristine time capsule.

IMO the 440 transplant offsets the value loss from the non-numbers motor, and to most folks increases the value.

Welcome. That's a nice ride you got there. To add on to the good prior post, simply put: if you put 2 of your same car next to each other, one with its 318 the other with a non-original 440... anybody would jump on the 440 car in an instant.

Auto Transport Service
Back