• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Satellite carpet and headliner colors

44070dart

Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
Just bought a '73 Satellite and it needs a carpet and headliner. The seats and dash are black. I was thinking of doing a red carpet and headliner. Was wondering if anyone has done this, and if it is a bad idea in any of your opinion. I know it's my car and choice, but do you guys think it won't look right. Haven't seen any like that so have nothing to compare it to until I do it. Any remarks welcomed.
00G0G_kI5iRiXc6bpz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

If it were mine I'd do it. I like contrast! Besides, it would match your exterior which I think rocks! Of course it's personal preference as you have to live with it. You could also do the arm rests red! :thumbsup:

Using this 'Cuda pic as an example, this is how most people are used to seeing contrasting colors. Would your version work? Carpet is cheaper than getting seats recovered, I'd suggest swapping the carpet first, see how you like it, then go for the headliner if you do like it.

cudaseat.jpg

Just FYI-

A- I've never seen a factory interior like the one posted above, so I'm betting "most people" don't associate that with a Mopar "contrasting" interior.

B- the only factory red interior available for 73 was a plaid pattern seat cover set that can be quite polarizing.
I'm not sure if they even offered a red headliner, so that might be difficult to find.

C- they do make Demon "Halloween" bucket seat covers, originally offered only in black with orange inserts, but now available in black with red inserts. IMO, those are WAY cool.

IMO a red headliner and carpet might look odd.

I two-toned my 73 interior by using white SSP upper door panels and seat covers and keeping the the factory F6 green carpet, headliner, lower door panels, dash, etc. I get a fair amount of compliments, and IMO it looks like something the factory could have come up with.

Most "factory two-tone" interiors other than the Demon mentioned above and the somewhat "standard" "XW" black dash and carpet with white seats were in the 67-68 years and had colored dash and carpet with white seats. There was a "tri-tone" option that had a third color upper door panel paint.

Hmm, can't find a factory red interior pic.

This is interesting-

1658673216120.png

Hmm, didn't take my Demon interior post.

Here it is.

1658753311184.png

,,,and it looks like there was a plaid/houndstooth option like the E body vert posted above.
I've never seen it in an E body, though. Maybe that's what threw me.

1658753297356.png

Here's mine-

1658753581592.png

1658753597862.png

Auto Transport Service
Back