• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 B Body Clutch Adjuster - Advice Needed

mschoo92

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question - is having the clutch adjuster out this far “normal”? I feel like this rod ought to be longer but this is where our adjustment needs to be, anything less and the gears tend to grind. Even now, the clutch seems to not disengage until the absolute bottom of pedal travel.

C49FE0AE-D074-4CB6-AE1B-8DE2745A4A09.jpeg
578C3F13-6207-414C-BE85-3B38B6AAB08F.jpeg

any advice on adjustment or potential things to look for that could be causing this would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Is that the stock clutch fork ?? Seems it may be too short.

I don't know for sure, when we bought this car it had already been converted by the previous owner from a 318 auto to a 440 4 speed. If I'm remembering correctly I do think this is a new clutch adjuster kit from Brewer's, I'll have to dig through my receipts to make sure but it should be correct for a 74 B body. You think the clutch fork itself may be incorrect?

Yea make sure they used the correct fork for the year/model. If not, you won't be able to get the adjustment correct. Also, make sure the actual adjuster rod is correct. They all have small differences in year/model and can have an impact on your adjustment and use ability. ****.....even a bent fork end could do this so study it pretty closely and make sure its the correct part and isn't bent/altered at all. All too often people grab the parts when swapping an auto to stick car and think they are all the same and the combo ends up being incorrect.

Yea make sure they used the correct fork for the year/model. If not, you won't be able to get the adjustment correct. Also, make sure the actual adjuster rod is correct. They all have small differences in year/model and can have an impact on your adjustment and use ability. ****.....even a bent fork end could do this so study it pretty closely and make sure its the correct part and isn't bent/altered at all. All too often people grab the parts when swapping an auto to stick car and think they are all the same and the combo ends up being incorrect.

thank you for the advice. I dug through some photos of when we put the trans in, gives a better view of the fork - any way to identify if it’s the correct part without having to take the trans out again? Any measurement or stamped number to check? If not, I may just try to get a longer adjusting rod made and see if that’d work for now.

8977DD82-E805-4475-9368-6E8D64591C46.jpeg
34BA0594-261F-46B2-8777-96FEC96C8F8F.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back