• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger black Brougham interior

74ChargerSE440

Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for a new headliner. It looks like I have a dark brown with a lighter thread rather than a (standard) black headliner which is widely offered. Does anyone have the original headliner that was installed with the Black Brougham (A76 option) interior and/or has any (close up) pictures of it?

Thanks.

1974_dodge_charger_1974_dodge_charger_e51dbd7c-82c5-48ae-a8e5-91f2fc85387c-wO3tGU-22177-22178-...jpg

My first thought is that yours is faded possibly dirty from whatever is above it (bleed through). Doesn't make sense that Mother Mopar put in brown.
:welcome:

My first thought is that yours is faded possibly dirty from whatever is above it (bleed through). Doesn't make sense that Mother Mopar put in brown.
:welcome:
Well, I assume your are right. That was my first thought also, but it's then very evenly faded through out, from front to back and form left to right and the parallel 'stiches' are even a bit lighter.

FWIW, the original interior on my 73 RR/GTX was blue. EVERYTHING blue including the headliner had color shifted when I got the car in 2002. I started restoring the blue pieces, console, various panels and finally shifted gears and went all black. My car isn't pedigree (no b/s or fender tag). It just looks better when everything matches.

I am looking for a new headliner. It looks like I have a dark brown with a lighter thread rather than a (standard) black headliner which is widely offered. Does anyone have the original headliner that was installed with the Black Brougham (A76 option) interior and/or has any (close up) pictures of it?

Thanks.

View attachment 1404976
Eastwood sells VHT Vinyl and Fabric Dye. That may be an option. VHT Vinyl Dye Vinyl & Fabric Coating Black Satin Aerosol 11 OZ SP942

That's very typical of the black material they used for the headliners in 73-74. Faded to brown in 10-15 years, yours is now 50 years old, faded and falling apart. It was black originalily if the car was coded for a black interior.

That's very typical of the black material they used for the headliners in 73-74. Faded to brown in 10-15 years, yours is now 50 years old, faded and falling apart. It was black originalily if the car was coded for a black interior.
Thanks for the confirmation. Now I can move on... and buy a new black headliner...

Pull a hard panel or trim piece the headliner is tucked under. Lack of sunlight will help preserve the original color.

There was a thread quite a while ago on the hard to find non-perforated headliners, which looks to be what you have.

Unrelated Note- as far as I've seen, blue is by far the worst color in 71-74 years for fading differently between panels.

I found the correct fabric for the headliner of my black brougham vinyl package car at AMS! See the picture for the comparison.
I have ordered a ready to install headliner which does not come cheap. €495...

20230119_195748.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back