74 Charger has anyone installed an efi in tank pump on the factory sending unit??

Fuel and Air Systems

1. 64fury74charger

64fury74charger Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:54 AM
    I didn’t find any thread on search so has anyone installed an in tank fuel pump using the factory sending unit?? If so what do you need to modify? Looks like the pick up tube lays sideways on the bottom of the tank and I am not sure if the pump will work properly. And the unit loads in on the side of the tank. I am also considering putting a module in the top and then use the sending unit line for the return. My sending unit is only working intermittently and needs replacing which means pulling the tank plus the tank has some leakage issues.

I am leaning towards using a 72-73 tank either way and the there should be a little space above the tank because it won’t have the hump in the tank. Those so-called universal modules are expensive just to get a fancy mounting piece that won’t be seen anyway.

Any experience with this is greatly appreciated. :jackoff: :thankyou: :luvplace:

:xscuseless: :steering: :moparsmiley:

03631D65-2E6A-4B61-A399-DF00B2FC8D8E.jpeg 1760E5BE-79A0-49C5-8ACA-9F45B1211394.jpeg 4F68368E-83C9-4E4E-94E9-30C39FDCBF3F.jpeg 3D481113-1877-4442-836A-13A0305BD5BB.jpeg

2. 6872n73

6872n73 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:54 AM
    I'm running a pump on a factory sending unit with an added return line. The pump has a sock on it. It pressures the system good when the tank is full and down to about 1/2 tank. Below that the fuel sloshes and I get fuel pressure pressure fluctuations.
    I've been looking at a custom tank with baffles and module but like you say that setup is expensive.

3. 64fury74charger

Local Time:
    Did you just hang the pump on the end of the sending unit or shorten the tube?? I am concerned about the fuel pump picking up fuel under all reasonable conditions and laying on it’s side. Sounds like you have had some issues at times.

4. 6872n73

6872n73 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:54 AM
    I might have trimmed it some but the pump is on the bottom of the tank and I had a 90 sock for the pump

5. 64fury74charger

Local Time:
    I was researching tank options for my 74 Charger and found a complete tank setup from Aeromotive for the 71-72 Charger and it looks really good. Pump lines are both set up on the side where the sending unit is along with the power and sending unit stud. Includes sending unit with the correct ohms and fully assembled.

By the time I added up a new tank, sender, module pump assembly and having to cut up a new tank and my time this looks like a good bang for the buck and should be relatively easy to install. Priced about $540.00.
    Now I am going to put a Weiand intake on and update the throttle and kick down linkage to cable, then the efi and go from there.

6. mschoo92

mschoo92 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:54 AM
    watching this thread closely, have a similar application in that I’ve got a 74 roadrunner and want to go efi. We used a phantom 340 in tank pump and modified stock, but as you pointed out the fuel sending unit doesn’t work properly and so we don’t have reliable fuel level readings.

Need to replace the tank anyway as it was for single exhaust and engine was swapped to a 440, please let me know how the 71/72 tank works in a 74! It would be much appreciated, as I’ve had my eye on that aeromotive tank and it would certainly be the easiest option if it works.

7. 64fury74charger

Local Time:
    The earlier tank should work ok with the straps. According to their website the tank comes completely assembled including the correct ohm range for the sending unit. My Chargers tank is due for replacing anyway and the sending unit as well. Great time to experiment because this is not a show car. The other item I plan to do is replace the dash cluster with a drop in with Autometer gauges. I am putting the funds together and hopefully within the next month I can get the parts to my door and get busy. I will update here as things progress.

7965D2D8-6FF9-471C-AF6F-F7AB8FFFECAF.jpeg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • mschoo92

mschoo92 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      8:54 AM
      Beautiful car, I love the color! And thanks for the info, I’ll most likely pull the trigger on this tank - just need to see what else needs to change On our fuel system to accommodate the new tank.

as for the auto meter drop in, that’s what we did and it definitely looks sharp!

76F431AE-CD27-49FB-9BEF-E6FFE5A3AFFC.jpeg

• andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.