• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger. Headliner slot too broad?

74ChargerSE440

Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Just got my new headliner from SMSautofabrics.com. Not quite happy but at least it is made out of fabric and not vinyl. The slot is far to broad, 1 1/8 inch instead of 3/8.

Is this going to be a problem for a tight fit?

20240202_220015.jpg

Offhand, I would think probably not ? However, you can modify the strip by sewing the strip for a narrower opening.

Offhand, I would think probably not ? However, you can modify the strip by sewing the strip for a narrower opening.
Thanks for your reply, but I have to be sure. Sewing a narrower opening is difficult without a machine and extra costs....

I would think it depends on how the new one lines up with the old one. They might have giving more room to slide the rod threw but when installed its the same spot .

I would think it depends on how the new one lines up with the old one. They might have giving more room to slide the rod threw but when installed its the same spot .
I don't think this makes sense...

did you compare the old one with the new one? Meaning were the slots are.
The distance between the 2 rod slots on the new headliner is exact 12 inch what it should be, so broader slots will cause a problem for the nice tight fit then?

Last edited:
Have you called them and asked about this. I feel you might be over thinking it. Yes to me it does not seem right. Your thinking sag Im thinking each rod pulls from each other. I could be totally wrong. I would call them. Please let us know how it works out.

Have you called them and asked about this. I feel you might be over thinking it. Yes to me it does not seem right. Your thinking sag Im thinking each rod pulls from each other. I could be totally wrong. I would call them. Please let us know how it works out.
I have contacted them. No response yet. With a 1 1/8 slot the headliner will be hanging 1 inch too low at the point were the rods go through the slots and the headliner will not fit tight to the roof rods?

My thoughts are they will be tight were the rods are. Measure with rods in from old and then measure in new pulled apart. Headliner is pulled not just hung .

Auto Transport Service
Back