• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger sunroof

bluefury

Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
I just ran across this 74 Charger. An original triple black sunroof car. Pretty well optioned too. P/W, A/C. It was a 400 but now has a good running 440. Some rust coming through at the front tops of the fenders and above the tail light panel. Floors are pretty solid, some minor rust through on the passenger side. Trunk is solid.
Someone put a white vinyl top over the sunroof, go figure. Guy wants $7500.00.....?

DSC04039.JPG
DSC04040.JPG
DSC04042.JPG
DSC04041.JPG
DSC04043.JPG
DSC04044.JPG
DSC04045.JPG
DSC04046.JPG

A couple more pic's. Runs & drives. I neglected to get a pic of the data tag. Will get later.
DSC04047.JPG
DSC04048.JPG
DSC04049.JPG
DSC04046.JPG

If the cowl is super solid and it's a P code 4 barrel car it might be worth 5K.

...plus subtract $400 each if it needs fenders or a deck lid.

...plus subtract $400 each if it needs fenders or a deck lid.

They look OK, at least repairable. So these cars aren't worth much....? even with a sunroof.....?

7,500 is steep. I could see that car get from 2,500 to 3,500 though. It's not too far gone, and definitely worth saving. Sunroof cars aren't too common, as many of us know.

7,500 is steep. I could see that car get from 2,500 to 3,500 though. It's not too far gone, and definitely worth saving. Sunroof cars aren't too common, as many of us know.

That surprises me. But the 3rd gen Chargers were never high on my list. I figured a well optioned sunroof car would be more appreciated though.

1974 big block sunroof cars are a little more desirable - especially if its a P code 400 4bbl. Triple black is a good color combo. Make sure all the sunroof parts are there - they are hard to come by. If you can do a lot of the work on the car and you like it - then I think it is worth pursuing - especially if it has some other neat options. $7500 is a little steep for its current condition.

Taking a look at the pictures - I see dual chrome racing mirrors, A/C, power windows, and cruise control. Pretty well loaded. Definitely would love to see the data tag on this car for the Sunroof Registry.

Taking a look at the pictures - I see dual chrome racing mirrors, A/C, power windows, and cruise control. Pretty well loaded. Definitely would love to see the data tag on this car for the Sunroof Registry.

I normally will get a shot of the tag, must have gotten distracted. I'll see it again tomorrow and get the pic.
$7200. is a "wish & prayer" price. I know the seller is very negotiable. He found something he wants so it's a good time to hit him up I think.

440 with leece neville alt ( 100 amps )... must came out from a cab or police car? ( if not a truck or RV ).

I can't see an ign module there... maybe points or RTR dist ?

Uggly wiring... a bit mess... tail lights wiring is spliced too. Wondering under the dash!

a sunroof car can be worthly.... on the correct body too. It can be a headache too, talking about missed parts, or headliner itself.

front top of fender area is not easy to fix... give them the shape can be an really artistic deal. And more to come once you cut them there. There are more sheetmetal layers there than just the outer skin, so you could find a bit of more rusted areas inside. Doable though.

Floor boards are available, but rears I think.

73/74 SEs aren't on the high steps of desire, but they are getting some attraction latelly specially if being a loaded one. This could be one of them.

just my 2 cents

Interesting still keeps the 15" road wheels option by 74 and they are complete, just requesting a good care. Wondering if factory or added. Not really common to see them on cars yet. Dunno if a weird factory option or common either. I have seen them more on Rallyes than on SEs ( when you don't see the 14" Rallye wheels on them, since 15" weren't anymore available ).

Last edited:
with all the parts missed or misteriouslly hacked, I think $7.5K is A BIT high, unless owner have them around. I could be agreed with the rest being closer ( below ) to $5K

yes, it got PW, but... the passenger switch ? is complete inside ?
Yes it got AC but... The hoses ?
Yes it got CC but... will it work ? Windshield washer reservoir is not the correct one, and the correct one for CC cars are not easy to come by

so these high load options could be nothing.

and we can go on on the regular parts... Radio? Cluster hacked up or untouched ?... seatbelts ? upper rear panels ? Cracked dash!... aside not matching engine ( if really cares )

Last edited:
No doubt the car needs restoring. But it seems better than average to start with and being factory equipped as it is makes it more worthy then most.
5500.00 would be a good deal for someone with the resources and abilities. Less...... even better.

That's a very nice car but $4-5k max they are rare as hell ,but rare doesn't always bring cash.

I got a shot of the data tags, (2). Looks like a "G" engine code.
DSC04094.JPG

Thanks for tracking down a picture of the tags - a two tagger by one option. The G in the VIN is for the St. Louis Assembly plant. The engine code is the 5th digit - N - which is the 400 4bbl non HP engine.

WP29: Dodge Charger SE 2 Door Hardtop
N4G: 400 1-4BBL 8 CYL, 1974, St. Louis, MO, USA
178358: Sequence number

E64: 400 4bbl non HP
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
TX9: Black Exterior Color
H6X9: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
000: Full Door Panels
C20: Build Date: December 20
255528: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
U: USA Specifications
B41: Front Disc Brakes
C16: Console
C56: Bucket Seats
F18: 65 Amp HD Alternator - Thanks Nacho!
G54: Outside LH Remote Chrome Racing Mirror
G64: Outside RH Manual Chrome Racing Mirror
G74: Dual Chrome Racing Mirrors
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
J52: Inside Hood Release
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M26: Wheel Lip Moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
M52: Manual Sunroof
N88: Auto Speed Control
P31: Power Windows
R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
V7W: Accent Stripes, White
28: 28" Radiator

When the 73-74 B-bodies finally become collectible in the hobby's eyes, this would be one of the more desirable cars - definitely worth looking into. A good selection of options and a great color combo. A good car to invest a little money into.

Last edited:
I think high end would be $6-6500. If you really, really like the car, you're not that far off the mark. You might not find another one for a long time. I have a 73 that I overpaid for, but it's one of three and it was available, so...

Auto Transport Service
Back