• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

741 Suregrip conversion

Moparquest72

Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking to swap out my 741 8-3/4 open carrier for a Suregrip or other limited-slip rear end. The gear ratio is 3.23. The car was originally a 361 car. But I'm going to put in a mild build 440. When I'm looking for a replacement 3rd member I know I need to match the casing numbers, spline number and yoke size. Are there any other things to look for when considering the purchase?
Thanks for your help.

That 741 is the smallest of the cases, meaning pinion bearing diameter. It will work just fine, so so get a sure grip, mount your ring to it and check the backlash/pattern and call it good.That's pretty much it in a nut shell. Or you can buy a center section already built with the gears you want.

You can use any casing number. 741, 742, and 489 will all work for you. The only question is how "durable" you want the pinion to be. As 5.7 Hemi mentioned, the 741 is the smallest, but that's still a damn tough pinion and paying more for a heavier one is often a waste of money if you're not putting out really serious horsepower.

As for the gears, my experience has been unless you know how to rebuild a center yourself, the cost of parts and labor to change the gears and add a Sure Grip unit far exceeds the cost of just buying a completed unit from someone. The last one I looked at doing, I was going to be paying close to $600 for a set of 3.23 gears and labor to get them in, and I was able to buy a complete 3.23 SG center for $400.

One other thing is there are 2 different sized yokes,one takes a 7260 joint and the other a 7290

I think he's just swapping out the carrier.....open for a SureGrip. That's not all that hard to do. Just got to worry about setting up the backlash. Yeah, there's different size yokes but that's not much of a problem either and there's no crush sleeve in the 41 so if the yoke has to be swapped out, it's pretty much a slam bam deal. Might throw in a new seal why the gettin it good...

Plus its a good time to check over the axel bearings if they look & feel good at least repack them and adjust end play & stick in new seals.

If your unit is good, just add a limited slip, easy deal as stated. I like the Eaton trutrac 913A572, I'm doing this swap right now on a 742. Good advice on wheel bearings.

Auto Transport Service
Back