• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 742 Sure Grip Center With 4.10 Gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruzilla

Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
I bought a 742 Sure Grip center with 4.10 gears from another forum member, and I was planning on having the gears changed to a 3.23 or 3.55 set, but I found out that this is going to run me about $200 for the gears and $300 to get them swapped out. So now I'm thinking a better route would be to see if anyone is in the same spot but headed in the other direction, i.e., has a Sure Grip chunk with 3.23 or 3.55 gears that they would like to have upgraded to 4.10 gears that they would want to trade?

Shipping these via UPS is about $80, and $80 is cheaper than even a gear set, so if you're interested in saving some $$$ to move up to 4.10 gears, let me know.

What style SureGrip does it have and would you consider selling it outright?

Not sure about the sure grip but will check. Still haven't opened the box it came in. :) And I'm not interested in selling unless it was for enough to buy another one. I might have found one, and if I'm able to get that I'll put this one up for direct sale.

There is a 3.23 for sale over on A-Bodies

I have a 489 case 3.23 cone suregrip I would maybe swap.Might even throw a little cash your way.

I have a 4.56 742 sure grip.. lol I'd like to have that case if you end up selling it also if Cranky doesn't want if first.

Okay, I just bought another center, so this one is for sale vice trade. I'm just asking what I paid for the other one, which is $580, and that includes the ride to the lower 48.

I'll take some pics today so you can see what you're getting.

I have a 323 cone type that leaves two equal black marks that I would trade...391 or 410 (not to hijack)

I have a 4.56 742 sure grip.. lol I'd like to have that case if you end up selling it also if Cranky doesn't want if first.
Go for it. After going through my pile of rear end junk, I found a 4.10 that I robbed the Sure Grip from. Just need to find another SG unit to put it back together.

Okay, I just bought another center, so this one is for sale vice trade. I'm just asking what I paid for the other one, which is $580, and that includes the ride to the lower 48.

I'll take some pics today so you can see what you're getting.

Does it have the cone-type suregrip or the clutch-type suregrip? I know the 742 case is supposed to have the clutch-type suregrip but you never know after all these years.

My 489 case I found on Craigslist came with a clutch-type suregrip in it, even though I think they are supposed to be cone-type.

Does it have the cone-type suregrip or the clutch-type suregrip? I know the 742 case is supposed to have the clutch-type suregrip but you never know after all these years.

My 489 case I found on Craigslist came with a clutch-type suregrip in it, even though I think they are supposed to be cone-type.

I'll check tonight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cones you can see the cones, and the clutch type have the two round openings on the side?

I always thought it was the clutch-type where you can see the springs.

I pulled this from bigblockdart.com:

"The Dana Power-Lok can be recognized by its bolt-together assembly, bolts around the side opposite the ring gear, and multiple openings exposing the cross shafts."

And then found this on Google images for a clutch-type:

View attachment 190385

and this for a cone-type:

cone type.jpg

Attachments

• suregrip.jpg
    suregrip.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service