• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

77’ American Clipper Dodge 440

kwilly

Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hopefully this is in the right place.
I have a motorhome, 77’ Dodge American Clipper 440 with low compression and a vacuum leak. She runs fine as far as I’ve had her. Didn’t pass smog. Got quoted 11k on rebuild but would rather hold off.
The power brake booster is leaking and low compression.
Looking for shop recmmendations here in California Bay Area also

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got quoted 11k on rebuild but would rather hold off.
I would most certainly fix every vaccuum leak very cheaply and try the test again, before Id consider an 11k rebuild... I personally would even disconnect the brake booster if need be, but I can't recommend you do the same.

Yeah,
Try a shop that injects smoke into Vacum or Fuel evaporated return lines
1977, Kalifornia, hotted dry...lines crack/brittle and leak
What town are you in?

Well you just got screwed.... Four values that need to pass to pass a smog... Three of those values your well below... One you missed.... Unfortunately your smog guy didn't pretest, he sent the results directly to Sacramento & now your vehicle is tagged as a Gross Polluter in the system.. So you can't go to just any smog test, its gotta be "Star Certified" and at least in the past gross polluters had to get smoked every year....

Whats the deal with the first smog? Your showing two smogs, neither pass but the first one is much cleaner than the second....

Engine may be tired but it's not dead yet.... and it should be able to pass.

The statement by shop "idle mixture screws don't effect mix or rpm": means fuel is slipping by in the carb where it should not... and some type of carb investigation is prudent. This will probably also fix your hydrocarbon problem and get you to pass.

When they used to smog test around here, there was a van across the street at every smog station waiting by and would guarantee a "pass" or your money back. Does CA have those? Those guys can get just about any older car to pass that doesnt have a dead cylinder.

Well you just got screwed.... Four values that need to pass to pass a smog... Three of those values your well below... One you missed.... Unfortunately your smog guy didn't pretest, he sent the results directly to Sacramento & now your vehicle is tagged as a Gross Polluter in the system.. So you can't go to just any smog test, its gotta be "Star Certified" and at least in the past gross polluters had to get smoked every year....

Whats the deal with the first smog? Your showing two smogs, neither pass but the first one is much cleaner than the second....
Got it thanks. Well, I was attempting to get a smog waiver and needed to provide a second failed smog test but I was denied because ownership is undergoing change. Not sure why the second smog test is so much worse but I was told by the shop who quoted me on the rebuild said that if a second smog test was done it would show up as a gross polluter.

Engine may be tired but it's not dead yet.... and it should be able to pass.

The statement by shop "idle mixture screws don't effect mix or rpm": means fuel is slipping by in the carb where it should not... and some type of carb investigation is prudent. This will probably also fix your hydrocarbon problem and get you to pass.

When they used to smog test around here, there was a van across the street at every smog station waiting by and would guarantee a "pass" or your money back. Does CA have those? Those guys can get just about any older car to pass that doesnt have a dead cylinder.
Thanks you. not sure but will look into.

Large vacuum leak will cause the idle mixture screws to be non-responsive. Booster diaphragm replacement is a good start. Fixing the vacuum leaks will probably allow it to pass as long as the carb is tuned properly and a 1/4 turn extra on the air side. Sorry you live in Cali.

Auto Transport Service
Back