• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

77 Cordoba Smoke from steering column turn signal when turning right

41indian

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi, everything was working great on the 77 Doba. Picked up the grandson and was turning right and noticed the inside turn indicator was not blinking, moved lever to do a left and it worked great, moved it back to right still not blinking and then saw smoke coming from top of column. What happened.

It might have worn a bare spot in wiring where lever comes out of steering column. Especially if your car has cruise control on turn signal lever.

These guys are correct. You have a short memory n your steering column wiring. There are two harnesses that run down the column from the key/turn signal switch & end up by your feet at the bottom of the column. Wires often melt right at the connectors by your feet, but can melt anywhere. If not obviously melted, you can check for resistance between the various wires to see what is crossed

I have seen this a few times and it is a loose rivet on the turn signal switch. The rivet is the connection for the wire and as it gets loose it drops voltage which creates heat.

The best fix is a new turn signal switch, but you can ruff up the rivet with a xacto blade and solder the rivet to the wire. Too much heat and you'll melt the plastic.

It might have worn a bare spot in wiring where lever comes out of steering column. Especially if your car has cruise control on turn signal lever.
It does, I took it all apart today and I didn’t see anything noticeable. I ordered a new switch just in case. Thought it would be like a GM But No it has to be a big pain in the A$$. Does it really plug into the fuse block. The only way I found it was the switch was I went for a 2 hour drive last weekend and came home and parked. About 2 hours later the son went and picked up dinner and when he came back he asked why the air wasn’t working. I checked it the next day and sure enough no air and turn signal ( the boy never uses them) checking my electrical manual it shows that the air and turn signals share the same fuse (20 amp) so I put a 30amp in it. Air worked great but went to mark a right turn and walla smoke just under the wheel. I’m to old climbing under that thing and chubby.

It does, I took it all apart today and I didn’t see anything noticeable. I ordered a new switch just in case. Thought it would be like a GM But No it has to be a big pain in the A$$. Does it really plug into the fuse block. The only way I found it was the switch was I went for a 2 hour drive last weekend and came home and parked. About 2 hours later the son went and picked up dinner and when he came back he asked why the air wasn’t working. I checked it the next day and sure enough no air and turn signal ( the boy never uses them) checking my electrical manual it shows that the air and turn signals share the same fuse (20 amp) so I put a 30amp in it. Air worked great but went to mark a right turn and walla smoke just under the wheel. I’m to old climbing under that thing and chubby.
So, turn signal switch.

Tasks: ( in order )... 1) fix switch 2) get younger 3) go on a diet.

Tasks: ( in order )... 1) fix switch 2) get younger 3) go on a diet.
Add this one too:
4) DON'T substitute a higher amp fuse. This can result in a meltdown. The fuse is failing because that is it's function. The fuse fails when there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Ok guys, I bought a new switch with the 8 pin and 3 pin connectors. I take it apart and on my old switch the small connector is a 4 pin. Checking everything out and can’t figure out what the small connector feeds. Plugged in the new switch 8 pin and everything works, right and left signals, Hazards horn Cruze. WTF is it for? CHRYSLERS, my 69 300 ( 1 year only )convertible is also an electrical mystery but when I researched it Chrysler did say that they put them together with what was on hand. LOL

Hey everyone thanks for all your input. It ended up to be a chaffed wire in the fender well.
So two switches and some electrical tape she’s as good as new.

Auto Transport Service
Back