• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 1/4 axles

One thing I’m planning on doing since I’ve got another axle in a junk Durango is to find out if the 29 spline side gears will fit into a spare 27 spline factory sure grip I have that needs rebuilt. If it will, I may use the Durango axle (total stink bug stance with springs on top of the tubes!) and go with a retainer clip green bearing 8-3/4 / Dana 60 type axles and swap housing ends to match. It’s got to warm back up a little bit before I can finish pulling the axle, but I am also going to use the solid flange yoke from it that fits a 1330 universal joint. That with a chromoly 1350 transmission slip joint should be able stand whatever I can dish out.
Just as a reference....
DrivetrainAmerica.com has an
extensive listing of just about
every axle on the planet. You'll
be able to find the answers to
your questions there. Not promoting
them, but their site is very informative.

One thing I’m planning on doing since I’ve got another axle in a junk Durango is to find out if the 29 spline side gears will fit into a spare 27 spline factory sure grip I have that needs rebuilt. If it will, I may use the Durango axle (total stink bug stance with springs on top of the tubes!) and go with a retainer clip green bearing 8-3/4 / Dana 60 type axles and swap housing ends to match. It’s got to warm back up a little bit before I can finish pulling the axle, but I am also going to use the solid flange yoke from it that fits a 1330 universal joint. That with a chromoly 1350 transmission slip joint should be able stand whatever I can dish out.
Wondering what year they changed to 29 splines?

But can you use the 97 and up differential with 29 splines in a pre 96 housing?

O.K., that's progress! We should be able to use the stronger 29 spline axles/differential.

I was looking at the shock mount plate today - maybe there's room for the LPW External Brace between the axle and the shock? It might be tight or it might not work at all.

I was looking at the shock mount plate today - maybe there's room for the LPW External Brace between the axle and the shock? It might be tight or it might not work at all.
If LPW offers this stuff, I'm pretty
sure they wouldn't offer it if it didn't
fit an intended (stock) application.
As with the feet on the load bolts
in their girdle, your needed parts may
have to be modified some to fit
your application. It was my choice to
modify the load bolts for the bearing
caps to what I felt is a more robust
installation and prevention of failure.
It made no sense to me to place
half of a 10 in/lb load on the bearing
cap bolt when it's the bearings that
fail under repeated hard acceleration.
Bear in mind that whatever you
choose to modify of their parts, the
burden of failure and possible injuries
becomes yours.
Hot Rods would never have been
born if it were not for a lot of "out
of the box" thinking. And most of
these guys didn't have a mechanical
engineering degree.
I can't even begin to tell you of the
many "goofs" I made during 47 years
of design experience, but when I got
it right.....what a feeling.
Just trying to offer a little
encouragement.
x_fmtv_27609.jpg20190620_165813.jpg

Last edited:
I believe LPW's external braces are a "one size fits all" product, not application specific (except possibly for the Camaro brace). The b-body is the only classic car I have any experience with, but AFAIK the B's angled shocks are a unique design. Other cars might not have the same interference issues with the shocks.

Auto Transport Service
Back