• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.25 27 spline rear disc conversion problem

68SS

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey,

Did front disc conversion already, going for rear disc conversion for my 68 b body with early 8.25 27 spline. Has anyone done this before? Seems like it is not as bolt on as it is for jeep guys... I know 68 8.25 was not available, the axle came with the car and the drivetrain was not original so the axle is most likely 73/74 or so as was the engine/trans..

Have bought grand cherokee rear disc setup that will bolt on to 8.25 jeep stuff easily, but my first problem is that on my rear the axle flange bolt pattern is different than in the cherokee backing plate slightly and the center hole is bigger in the plate than the axle bearing housing o.d.

Other than that it might work out... I was planning to get an adapter sleeve turned on lathe to take the slack off the center hole and make retaining plate to not let the sleeve back out and then enlargen/drill the backing plate bolt holes to fit the axle flange. Or maybe interference fit to the backing plate center is enough?

Seems like there is multiple axle flange patterns on 8.25 banjos? Think the cherokee stuff should fit directly to newer 29splines for example..

If anyone has done this conversion tips are welcome and if there will be any other issues ahead, thanks!

Never mind I was being retarded, measured wrong yesterday its direct bolt on.. carry on Easy swap for ppl that wana extra safety for c clip axle, might wana have longer flange studs tho mine were 1-2mm too short
IMG-20240317-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20240317-WA0008.jpeg

Hey,

Did front disc conversion already, going for rear disc conversion for my 68 b body with early 8.25 27 spline. Has anyone done this before? Seems like it is not as bolt on as it is for jeep guys... I know 68 8.25 was not available, the axle came with the car and the drivetrain was not original so the axle is most likely 73/74 or so as was the engine/trans..

Have bought grand cherokee rear disc setup that will bolt on to 8.25 jeep stuff easily, but my first problem is that on my rear the axle flange bolt pattern is different than in the cherokee backing plate slightly and the center hole is bigger in the plate than the axle bearing housing o.d.

Other than that it might work out... I was planning to get an adapter sleeve turned on lathe to take the slack off the center hole and make retaining plate to not let the sleeve back out and then enlargen/drill the backing plate bolt holes to fit the axle flange. Or maybe interference fit to the backing plate center is enough?

Seems like there is multiple axle flange patterns on 8.25 banjos? Think the cherokee stuff should fit directly to newer 29splines for example..

If anyone has done this conversion tips are welcome and if there will be any other issues ahead, thanks!
I did the same as you
describe.
The differences between the
Chrysler 8.25 and Jeeps D3520220410_233255.jpg
bolt patterns are negligible.
20220410_233344.jpg
I bought this kit but it may
not be quite what you're
looking for, for your
performance needs as
these calipers are only a
single piston. OK on a drag
strip, and they have the
emergency brake shoes
that are integral. No
issues stopping 3100 lbs
from 100 mph to 0 in
short order. For reference-
the front disc are Ford 11"
vented.
Any kit that fits a D35 will
fit Chryslers 8.25.
20190615_144651.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same as you
describe.
The differences between the
Chrysler 8.25 and Jeeps D35View attachment 1630240
bolt patterns are negligible.
View attachment 1630239
I bought this kit but it may
not be quite what you're
looking for, for your
performance needs as
these calipers are only a
single piston. OK on a drag
strip, and they have the
emergency brake shoes
that are integral. No
issues stopping 3100 lbs
from 100 mph to 0 in
short order. For reference-
the front disc are Ford 11"
vented.
[/URL]
Any kit that fits a D35 will
fit Chryslers 8.25.
View attachment 1630241
Thanks for clarification, thats a real neat frame and suspension you have there also! For older truck cab? Have no clue about that stuff but seems like it should drive like on rails with that frame!

My brake set was single piston aswell, but my 68 satellite just has mild built 318 so its not exactly a rocket and is built for cruising mostly so Im thinking it should work fine. You can get slotted/drilled rotors from rockauto too tho, but overall buying only the backing plate from summit and rest from rockauto seems to be cheaper than the whole set from summit.

Main point I was kinda going for with this conversion was more easy brake service over drums and extra safety should the axles or c clip fail, better braking is a plus

Thanks for clarification, thats a real neat frame and suspension you have there also! For older truck cab? Have no clue about that stuff but seems like it should drive like on rails with that frame!

My brake set was single piston aswell, but my 68 satellite just has mild built 318 so its not exactly a rocket and is built for cruising mostly so Im thinking it should work fine. You can get slotted/drilled rotors from rockauto too tho, but overall buying only the backing plate from summit and rest from rockauto seems to be cheaper than the whole set from summit.

Main point I was kinda going for with this conversion was more easy brake service over drums and extra safety should the axles or c clip fail, better braking is a plus
Thanks.
The chassis fits to 1940's
Plymouth or Dodge pickup.
I've been familiar with the
similarities between the D35
and 8-1/4 for quite some
time.
I've owned a few Jeeps but
this project is the first
Mopar.

Auto Transport Service
Back