• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 end play shim

djbr459

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is it possible to install the end play shim without removing the rear end?
Thanks

Are you talking about the 1964 and earlier ? If so they do adjust with shims and you have to remove the axle to do so.
No carrier removal is needed.

Say what....
I changed out my rear end and now I cannot adjust the end play on the axles.
I think the spacer is missing and I want to install one without removing the rear end.

Are you talking about the 1964 and earlier ? If so they do adjust with shims and you have to remove the axle to do so.
No carrier removal is needed.
It's on a 66 coronet

The adjuster should be on the Passenger side between the axle flange and the backing plate

The adjuster should be on the Passenger side between the axle flange and the backing plate
The adjuster is on but when I try to adjust it the and play doesn't change.

The adjuster is on but when I try to adjust it the and play doesn't change.
Did you change the carrier/ring and pinion/pumpkin. There is supposed to be a axle button in the middle of the carrier between the axles. You adjust one side and it pushes and tightens the other side against the bearing. That button is smack dab in the middle of the rear end.

Did you change the carrier/ring and pinion/pumpkin. There is supposed to be a axle button in the middle of the carrier between the axles. You adjust one side and it pushes and tightens the other side against the bearing. That button is smack dab in the middle of the rear end.
I think it's missing

I changed out my rear end and now
Can you explain in more detail what all was done and why?? It may help a lot, especially what components were used to reassemble.

If you need to put the button in place, you will have to pull the axles and the pumpkin complete.....if it's already set-up properly, you wont be disturbing the contact pattern or anything like that.

If I'm not mistaken only Sure Grips get the buttons not open rears.
Do you know what you have ?
Don't laugh at this. It was back in 1976 working at the dealership. Andy installed the carrier and forgot to install the buttons on a used car. He glued the buttons to the end of the axles and son of a gun he got them in.

If I'm not mistaken only Sure Grips get the buttons not open rears.
Do you know what you have ?
Don't laugh at this. It was back in 1976 working at the dealership. Andy installed the carrier and forgot to install the buttons on a used car. He glued the buttons to the end of the axles and son of a gun he got them in.
How could you adjust bearing preload and endplay without a button? Asking for a friend.

I may be wrong. It's been awhile and my memory ain't great anymore.
The block in a open moves side to side to make up the slack.

I may be wrong. It's been awhile and my memory ain't great anymore.
The block in a open moves side to side to make up the slack.
I'm there. With only an adjuster on one side there has to be something to connect the axles to take up the slack. If the axles were long enough they could but against themselves but they would grind when going around corners when one axle turns and the other barely does. The only way you can make it work without a thrust block or button, is to use Green bearings.

I have a factory '68 741 spider monkey 8-3/4 sittin' here. It has a thrust block/spacer/buttons and adjusting collar on the PS.
To answer the OPs question...you'll need to remove and disassemble the center section to install the block.

I have a factory '68 741 spider monkey 8-3/4 sittin' here. It has a thrust block/spacer/buttons and adjusting collar on the PS.
To answer the OPs question...you'll need to remove and disassemble the center section to install the block.

That sucks
Thanks for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back