• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 rear end

Ralph Cali

Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
My question is how stout is a 8 3/4 inch rear is in a 73 road runner - 3.23 gears per tag.

I have installed a 522 inch stroker putting out 500 hp and 640 torque at 3500 rpm. a 5 speed tremec kit with HD driveshaft

Will this rear handle the power and torgue I have or do I need to upgrade to a dana.

Will not be used on the track, just a fast torquey street car.

Have any advice ?

Ralph

having a dana 60 always helps....You can install a set of chrome-moly axles in your 8 3/4 will help alot...Usually what happens is the axles twist at the splines at the spider gears...I,d like to have a dana 60 in my GTx but dishing out 1200 or more bucks is out of the question at this time...Yukon gear sells the axles...
Petty Blue 67 GTX

Well, the factory specd the Dana for anything with a 440 and HEMI with a manual trans, but they had to provide a warranty so maybe it was over kill. I used to abuse my 742 3.55 8-3/4 with a Max Wedge and a 4 spd and nothing happened, but I had street tires. With street tires and hoping you never hook it up you will probably be OK. Your tires will be your fuse!

Thanks for the comments.

I will be on street tires, no slicks or track use here. I will stay with the 8 3/4 until funds allow the dana. The stroker motor I have is real torkey at a low rpm.

Ralph

Do you have the 741, 742 or 489 third member?

From what I've read, the 741 is the weakest but still more than enough for street tires.

If it's just street tires you're fine. If at some point you think you might throw slicks on, then get a Dana.

I have a 489 third member with a 456 gear, Spool and good axles and have not broke it yet. Auto trans, 5k stall and about 600 hp at the fly wheel using Et streets and big studs. The 741 will take some abuse, The sticks put alot more punishment to the rear end. Street tires should be fine with the current setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back