• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 storage

71RRHI

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
My 71 Road Runner came from the factory with 3.55 gears. The original owner installed a set of 2.76 gears for better fuel economy in about 1976. I recently bought a 3.55 sure grip third member, but not sure when I will install it. I don't mind the 2.76. I can cruise on the freeway at 70 without the high RPM. Other than putting the third member into a housing with axles, and filling with gear oil, whats the best way to store it?

Gear side down in a bucket would probably work out well. I just oil mine and wrap it in a plastic bag.

Guy I bought my 3.23 sure grip from used 5 gal buckets also. At the time he had 5 or 6 different ones all in buckets with used motor oil.

Yup. Spray liberally with grease (some folks use white lithium since it coats nicely) and drop 'er in a 5 gal bucket.

I'd recommend 3.23s. They were factory in my wagon and were awesome. 1.6 60' times, 104 mph trap speeds, drove from MD to FL repeatedly as well as lotsa runs down the strip. I changed to 4.11s, went slower and lost cruise capability on the highway. When I get serious about getting the wagon back together, the 3.23s are going back in!

Yup. Spray liberally with grease (some folks use white lithium since it coats nicely) and drop 'er in a 5 gal bucket.

I'd recommend 3.23s. They were factory in my wagon and were awesome. 1.6 60' times, 104 mph trap speeds, drove from MD to FL repeatedly as well as lotsa runs down the strip. I changed to 4.11s, went slower and lost cruise capability on the highway. When I get serious about getting the wagon back together, the 3.23s are going back in!
Police cars used 3.23. 140mph speedometers. No one remembers them being "slow".

Another vote for 3:23s. Baby Blue used to run 14.2's with them at the track, and they cruise nicely at 70mph with stock wheels and tires.

I kinda like my 4:30's.... But I have an extra gear so 2.84 in O/D...

My 71 Road Runner came from the factory with 3.55 gears. The original owner installed a set of 2.76 gears for better fuel economy in about 1976. I recently bought a 3.55 sure grip third member, but not sure when I will install it. I don't mind the 2.76. I can cruise on the freeway at 70 without the high RPM. Other than putting the third member into a housing with axles, and filling with gear oil, whats the best way to store it?
Went to a quick oil change business and got all the used oil I needed for free. Into 5 gallon buckets they go.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't comfortable having a bucket 1/2 full of oil sitting on the shelf in my storage container for many years. I found this stuff from LPS. Sprayed it on heavy and put it in a platic tote from HD with a piece of wood at the bottom for extra support.
20231125_143352.jpg
20231125_143625.jpg
20231125_143706.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back