• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75 rear end should I change stock axles?

Bens69PlymouthSatellite

Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
I have an 8.75 rear end for a 69 satellite,I'm putting a 440 mag. Eng. In the car with 4.10 gears in the rear end recomended by some of u guys my question is should I change the stock axles and go with moser axles or will the stock axles be ok if they are in good shape?it's an old rear end, but the guy I got it off said clean it up and it'll be fine, the car is only gonna be like 550 hp when I'm done thanks alot.

Stock axles are pretty strong and should be fine for a street car with high HP and torque. I would also keep the original style axle bearings.

Stock will be fine , the Mosers would be extreme overkill,

The 8 3/4s are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for, not sure why these folks give it a bad rap, I have had Mopars since the late 60s and have never broke an 8 3/4, but I twisted have rung Drive shafts in two,

The 8 3/4s are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for, not sure why these folks give it a bad rap

In the Silver Auctions report in the latest issue of Sports Car Market magazine there is a 70 Challenger rag top with a 5.7 HEMI conversion. In the car description reads: "8 3/4-inch rear end likely to decorate somebody's windshield if you step on the gas". :confused: I would have liked to take this writer for a ride in my 68 Max Wedge powered / 4 spd / 8 3/4 rear end RR 25 yrs ago. Some people just need to be shown the way of MoPar!

There was a magazine article many years ago that said an 8 3/4 was a great rear end for pro street applications. As you could have the axle resplined and it was plentiful and cheaper than a ford 9". Thank God that never caught on, it leaves more of them out there for us. I'll be needing on shortly I guess. Oh yeah... I broke one once. The pinion right at the end of the yoke, but I never broke an axle.

The 8 3/4s are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for, not sure why these folks give it a bad rap

In the Silver Auctions report in the latest issue of Sports Car Market magazine there is a 70 Challenger rag top with a 5.7 HEMI conversion. In the car description reads: "8 3/4-inch rear end likely to decorate somebody's windshield if you step on the gas". :confused: I would have liked to take this writer for a ride in my 68 Max Wedge powered / 4 spd / 8 3/4 rear end RR 25 yrs ago. Some people just need to be shown the way of MoPar!

I have ran Full Race engines with Ridiculous Horsepower and have put the power to the ground using 8 3/4 rear ends (489case) and have NEVER broken an axle or a rear end , I have rung drive shafts into on several glorious occasions, but never Busted out a rear end. :grin:

Don't get me wrong, I love the 8 3/4 rear ends. I too have also put lots of horsepower down with them. I will be putting one the Road clone when the time comes to change the rearend. That writer from Sports Car Market magazine is surly uninformed.

Auto Transport Service
Back