• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 and 3/4 swap

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Swapping out the center section of my 8 and 3/4. Can pull the axles out only about 4 in is that far enough? However I would like to change the foam gaskets. What am I missing?

What year? If they are non taper it makes no sense. 4 inches out there should be nothing left to keep them from coming out. Got pictures?

What year? If they are non taper it makes no sense. 4 inches out there should be nothing left to keep them from coming out. Got pictures?
Sorry, rear end is from a 69 roadrunner. 742 center. I'll get some pictures tomorrow. It has to be something stupid I am overlooking.

Swapping out the center section of my 8 and 3/4. Can pull the axles out only about 4 in is that far enough? However I would like to change the foam gaskets. What am I missing?
That should do it.

Sorry, rear end is from a 69 roadrunner. 742 center. I'll get some pictures tomorrow. It has to be something stupid I am overlooking.
I haven't tried to pull the center out yet, it probably will come out no problem, not tapered axles. I figure I should change the phone axle gasket s well I have them out so I need to pull the axles all the way out, correct? Haven't done this since high school about 80 years ago.

The FSM recommends changing the inner seals every time an axle shaft is removed. They're not expensive and you're already there.

Pull on the axles a bit harder, they will come right out.

Pull on the axles a bit harder, they will come right out.
He claims they are already out 4 inches which does not make sense. At 4 inches the splines are out of the spiders and the bearings have to be out of the tubes. There should be nothing else holding them in.:wtf:

Is there a difference between the tapered and non-tapered foam gaskets, seals, and/or the process in general?

From 4:10 to 3:23s for the highway
I don't like resting the axles on the seals and pulled them all the way out and was very careful not to drag them on the seals. I used to change gear ratios quite often and wasn't going to change the seals on every swap I did unless they were already seeping. Oddly enough, never had a problem messing one up doing it like that.

Found an old manual. The emergency brake strut needed to come out. Didn't see that. Good to go now. Thanks, Dave
I just lifted the strut a little bit with a medium sized screwdriver and the axle would slide right out. It would rub on it but not enough to hamper it.

Auto Transport Service
Back