• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8" rim w/10.5 slicks

wedge5

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Who is running a 10.5 slick on a 8" rim. Not the wide 10.5 but the reg style. I bought a 9" slick last year and a new set of Stockton steel 8". I planned on going 11.50 or so. Over the winter I upped my set up and now should be in the low 10's. I am thinking that I need to up my slick width.
M/T suggest using a 10" rim for a 28x10.5 but I am thinking that a 8" rim would still be safe. Yes, It would be easy to just buy a new set of rims but then I would have a brand new set just sitting around and Stockton steel wheels aren't cheap so I would like to use them.

Watch your backspacing;I've got some 15X8s with 4-1/2" b.s. and 255/70-15 tires and I'll need to change to wheels with more back-spacing. I'll be rubbing at the inside curve at the top of the wheelhouse on the '64. With an 8" rim,will your slicks still seal well at the bead and allow rim screws(I'm presuming you'll be using them)? Might be why a 10" rim is recommended.

Ive run a 9" on a 7" wheel and it worked so i would think a 10.5 would work on a 8"

I have the springs moved in board and I have about 3" clearance to the inner fenderwell with the 9" slicks and the section of the 28x10.5 is actually smaller than the 30x9's I have on there now. I have 4 1/2 b.s now but could/might go with a 5". I am not going to use screws.

When I bought the car it had M/T Sportsman Pro's on it that were 29.5x12.5x15. When I dismounted the tires I found out that the rims were 6 1/2". Boy was I surprised.

Auto Transport Service
Back