• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

81-year-old man living in woods for nearly 3 decades forced out of home, cabin destroyed

too bad

but if it's private property & it's not his land
he didn't have any business being or building a cabin on it
to begin with

squatter "off-grid liver" or not

he had a free place to live for 3+ decades

he lived there for free without permission
(don't recall verbal/written, article never ? said)

It's sad, for that old dude
but that's life, he doesn't own it
someone else does

Even if he owned it, it would no doubt be
'way in the rears' in back property taxes
so he'd be fucked either way

I wonder if he knew he was on private land ?

the fire seems suspect, who knows on that deal

I can see both sides too
but it's not his land, to squat on for 30+ years
end of story

the Judge (whoever adjudicating it) seemed pretty sympathetic too

Last edited:
He's says a previous owner gave him permission. It was in the article. Maybe so...maybe not... We'll likely never know...

The story has been recycled a couple of times. In another version, it was stated that River Dave had verbal permission years ago from another family member.

IMHO - Pretty cool to live like that. When I was a teen, my friends and I built forts in the woods. Two were quite convincing enough that the town thought they were actual private property structures (sheds). We had a skylight, battery powered lighting, a 55 gal drum stove, crate tables, patio chairs, even a cot. Drank a lot beer there:drinks:

Interesting. If he didn’t claim he ever had permission and simply “took it over” he could have taken it by adverse possession in all states after that long.

Says he’s a veteran. Maybe the VA can help him out. Hopefully

Well, he lives in the Live Free or Die state, he was pursuing his happiness. I get the feeling he was one with nature, and probably lived cleanly with no trash around. It's too bad he couldn't live in a protected national forest and left alone.

I hope to live that way someday. But it’ll be on my own property.

Sorry about his luck but as stated he was on someone else's property. If it were my property I'd want him gone ASAP regardless of how long he lived there. Its easy to say "leave the old dude alone" when it isn't your property. Next thing you know he dies out there and the property owner has to suck up the funeral expenses.

Sorry about his luck but as stated he was on someone else's property. If it were my property I'd want him gone ASAP regardless of how long he lived there. Its easy to say "leave the old dude alone" when it isn't your property. Next thing you know he dies out there and the property owner has to suck up the funeral expenses.
Or you get sued by his family

Or you get sued by his family

Here's the rest of the story, from another article....

"Property owner Leonard Giles, 86, of South Burlington, Vermont, didn’t even know Lidstone was there until the town administrator found out in 2015 and told him, expressing concern “with regard to the solid and septic waste disposal and the potential zoning violations created by the structure,” according to Giles’ complaint in 2016."

From the property owner's perspective, it's completely understandable why he wanted him gone because he was going to be on the hook for violations & fines caused by the hermit squatter.

i watched it on tv this morning that sucks never Hirt anyone

Sad, but, what if everyone did that. That's New Hampshire, now if that was California, you could crap in the street, no problem!

we all have a few screws loose some more than others but this world is all about lawsuits and that stinks . his house was far away from everyone and they do this to him . it's just like what the government is doing to our veterans .

It's not his property, end of story. Sad, but true

when one does not ask for nothing does that mean you have to destroy what little he has . and what he has did not Hirt anyone . if we as people cant help one an other then it is a sad day .

Auto Transport Service
Back