• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 slip

jhowell34

Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
my 904 tranny is slipping a little since i have a bad oil leak and its blowing back on the tranny do you guys think thats the problem

oil from your engine will not cause your transmission to slip. your transmission is either:

low on fluid, has a worn intermediate band or band out of adjustment, or has an overlap issue due to worn internals

318 behind it but it doesnt slip on regular basis i had it parked for a few months and when i got it out to drive i put the car in drive and it acted as if it was in neutral like the torque converter or something didnt engage ...i think i need to change the fluid its prob low on it but i just put it back n park then drive and drove fine or i have to take off slow for it to grab

oil from your engine will not cause your transmission to slip. your transmission is either:

low on fluid, has a worn intermediate band or band out of adjustment, or has an overlap issue due to worn internals

Exactly, which why I asked about the pump seal. But, yes oil leaking on your transmission has no relation to how your transmission functions. Like I said check to see if the front pump seal is leaking. It will leak between the block and transmission but, the fluid trail will from the pan to further.

If you drive it enough without checking it will leak fluid and you will get low enough that your transmission will let you know when it is low by what you described and if you drive it longer you can destroy the transmission. Also, might help to drop the pan and check the pan for shaving/metal pieces and change your filter. Also, adjust your bands or have someone do it for you if you are not comfortable doing it.

Hopefully, this helps and if it persists then it could be the seals/bands are worn/expanding in the transmission which means time for a rebuild. How miles you have on your 904? Any mods the 318?

318 behind it but it doesnt slip on regular basis i had it parked for a few months and when i got it out to drive i put the car in drive and it acted as if it was in neutral like the torque converter or something didnt engage ...i think i need to change the fluid its prob low on it but i just put it back n park then drive and drove fine or i have to take off slow for it to grab

if your vehicle has not ran in a while, the fluid that is in your torque converter and other parts of your transmission will drain back into the pan. "Park" position does NOT allow for fluid to travel through your transmission. So if you start your vehicle after it setting for a while, then it will seem to slip if you put it directly into "D" or "R" because it will take a while for the fluid to get routed to the area of the transmission that puts it into gear.

Rule of Thumb: If your vehicle has sat for awhile, start your vehicle in neutral. This position allows for the front pump to push fluid throughout the internals so that your gears will engage more quickly. Let it set for about 15-20 seconds and then change from neutral to the gear of your choice.

Voila.. problem solved, and yes, this is something that has been around forever.

If the fluid looks brown you should go ahead and change it and the filter. Adding a quart of Lucas transmission stop slip is a good idea too. It helps condition worn seals and clutches. Fill it back up with Mercron/Dexron III.

well as of now it hasnt done it in 2 days but now i need a motor cuzmy old 318 worn out well the heads are but i might go 360 if i can find good deal or whole new top end kit

well as of now it hasnt done it in 2 days but now i need a motor cuzmy old 318 worn out well the heads are but i might go 360 if i can find good deal or whole new top end kit

good on the non-slipping thing... it was just because it sat for a long time.

now.. the engine.. what makes you say it is "worn out"? Why do you say the heads are worn out?

well its blowing oil everywhere seems to be comming from the pcv valve so im going to replace that and clean the engine up cuz all of the oil on it burns and it sucks

Auto Transport Service
Back