• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 torque converter - What do I need?

1966Belvert

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
I recently did an engine swap in my 66 Belvedere. I went from a stock 273 with a cracked block to a 1969 318 with 360 heads and a mild cam. The new engine generates about 100 more horsepower than the old 273, and the torque converter is not too happy with it. I'm looking for recommendations for a new converter that is better matched to this engine. Thanks in advance!

I recently did an engine swap in my 66 Belvedere. I went from a stock 273 with a cracked block to a 1969 318 with 360 heads and a mild cam. The new engine generates about 100 more horsepower than the old 273, and the torque converter is not too happy with it. I'm looking for recommendations for a new converter that is better matched to this engine. Thanks in advance!
You likely need a rebuild on the transmission.
I don't think a converter alone is going to be the solution.
Have you taken the pan off?
If so what did it look like?

Chrysler changed the design of 904 torque converters in 1968. The earlier ones were made to work with a smaller input shaft with different spline count. Chrysler had done this same upgrade on the 727 in 1967. So, your '66 Belvedere should have the early design. It is difficult to find any higher stall converters to fit the earlier transmissions. Your 904 can be upgraded by changing the entire front clutch drum, with input shaft and oil pump. Or, just replace your earlier 904 with a 1968 or later one. Part throttle kick-down valve bodies were introduced in 1971, aiding lower torque engines. There is a better selection of later converters available.

Auto Transport Service
Back