• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 1972 Plmouth Roadrunner/GTX 440+6 BBL did they make one?

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
Well, I was "Floored" Monday afternoon when my September (Oct?) MuscleCar review magazine arrived in the maulbox.
On the cover is a Red/Black vinyl top, electric sunroof 1972 Roadrunner/GTX 440+6 BBL, Air-Grabber hood car that was reportedly made in August 1971 for the 1972 year until the Chrysler management halted the program because it failed EPA standards at the end of August 1971.

The car is gorgeous/flawless!
It is "REAL", VIN denotes the authenticity, allegedly 3 were made before it was cancelled.

It's a 727 torqueflite car, black buckets/console car.

So, has anyone seen this article, car?

Heavily documented
PS: The Holley 6-BBL set up is a 1972 numbered set!

untitled.png

So:
Here is the "write-up" MuscleCar Review, AND hotrod.com current edition:

READ THE STORY:http://www.hotrod.com/

“One well known Chrysler legend denied that the car had ever been built”
-The Clean Air Act of 1970 probably helped us breathe better, but it also killed the muscle car momentum that had been building for at least a decade. Low-lead/no-lead fuel mandates resulted in lowered compression ratios, primitive emissions equipment, and decreased horsepower by 1972, a downward spiral that only got worse as the decade continued. Yet despite repressive government regulations, one illegal, coyote-asphyxiating 1972 440+6 Road Runner flew over the Mopar nest with a powerplant worthy of its high performance heritage.

-Russell Morgan of Washington, North Carolina, is a serious Mopar hunter. His first car was a 1971 Dodge Super Bee. He says, “My family members were Plymouth and Dodge people, and that’s how I got into them. While I was going through college in the mid to late ’70s, I studied Mopars. I memorized how to read the serial numbers and learned everything I could about Mopar muscle cars. I loved it. I had a jump on so many others because of my family’s involvement with Mopars.”

“The cars were just sitting around, ripe for the picking”

-When Russell graduated college in 1978, he got a job that entailed driving 2,000 to 2,500 miles per week. “In my travels I would find these Mopar muscle cars that people no longer wanted. My buddy Randy Feagle and I would spot these cars sitting around in driveways and garages. Remember, this was in the days of the gas crisis. People stopped driving gas guzzlers, bought economy cars, and didn’t go back. The cars were just sitting around, ripe for the picking.”

-Russell adds, “I never cheated anyone. They didn’t have to take what I offered them. But I was buying cars 10 cents on the dollar. I bought a 1970 Hemi ’Cuda in about 1981 for $480. It was the poster child Hemi ’Cuda: red, white vinyl top, Shaker hood, elastomeric bumpers, four-speed transmission, and a Dana rear. $480!”

-Looking back on that fateful day in the salvage yard, Russell recalls, “Always on the hunt for cool parts, I asked the owner how much he wanted for the Air Grabber hood on that red 1972 Road Runner GTX sunroof car. I bought the hood for $150. I took the hood to a swap meet in Charlotte, North Carolina. A man came up to me and asked me what car had that hood. I told him it was a 1972 Six Pack Road Runner GTX, and he said he had been looking for that car for years. He then asked me where the car was, and I said, ‘I ain’t gonna tell you.'”

-Russell immediately put the hood back in his truck and headed to the yard the next Monday. The yard’s owner had a clean title for the car and factory literature from 1972 that showed the Six Pack motor offered in the Road Runner GTX. The title confirmed the RM23V2G in the VIN as an authentic two-door hardtop (RM23), 440+6 (V), 1972 model (2) assembled at the St. Louis, Missouri, plant (G).

-What happened next might go down as one of the great Mopar buys of all time. “He sold me the car with a clean title for $150,” says Russell. “He knew exactly what it was, but he knew I was a Mopar guy and that I would appreciate this car.”

-Upon purchasing the car, Russell began researching its history. One well-known Chrysler legend denied that the car had ever been built. When that Chrysler official was pressed, Russell was essentially told that the car was bogus. Undaunted, he continued to search for answers.

MORE GOOD STUFF IN THE ARTICLE

03-1972-plymouth-road-runner-gtx-front.jpg

Last edited:
Wasnt there one 6 pack 72 Roadrunner that snuck past the factory? I swore it was a Thread on here about it.

heard there were 3 chargers and one maybe two roadrunners that slipped out in the first production runs
m1701.gif
think it was a write up in the long dead MOPERFORMANCE

Wasnt there one 6 pack 72 Roadrunner that snuck past the factory? I swore it was a Thread on here about it.

See my initial 3 posts

3 were built
Built first week of August 1971
By the end of that month, August 1971 the car was cancelled

I saw an article back in the late 80's about one of the other two '72 six pack air grabber Road Runners..... lemon twist I think, but I don't think it had the sunroof.

I remember the story vaguely, not sure 100% the true numbers
been discussed a few times on various forums too...

Thanks for the refresher Ski, good & interesting read
factual {?} or not {?}, seems like a good story, #'s don't lie,
just people doing fake **** & fake VIN's, passing them off as real
or lame stories of something someone once "allegedly" saw,
hearsay, no real facts to back them up etc. does...

The "Brothers Collection" maintains some rare and desirable stuff. I bet they have all the paperwork to back it up.

Nothing fake/bogus about that car. Was restored by Magnum Restoration and on display at MCAN last November. A long time Mopart's member owned it for a good 15 + years but finally decided he couldn't restore it to the level needed and now in "The Brother's Collection".
Ron

If they can produce the dealers order slip and shipping recept from Chrysler it would settle the matter.
Now where was it sold?

If they can produce the dealers order slip and shipping recept from Chrysler it would settle the matter.
Now where was it sold?

What's to settle? The 6bbl cars were scheduled to be built for MY 1972. The data books and order sheets show this. There are a handful of '72 6bbl RRs and Chargers known through the years. This is one of them. All were built in ~ the first week of production before the 6bbl option was pulled.
72_Charger_Rallye_Info_550.jpg

72_E87_Order_Sheet.jpg

That only proves that they were built or could have been. The dealers ship ticket or original window sticker would prove it made its way into the publics hands.
This is why Chrysler will not acknowledge a 72 V car. They were never to have shipped but may have made it out off the gate just as may other things had that are not supposed to be in existance.
I am not denying it existance just the verification.

Auto Transport Service
Back