A 4x4 Satty/RR!

General Discussion

1. eagleone1983

eagleone1983 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:34 PM
    Look what I found on my way to the blasters this weekend. This was about as close as I could get with out going onto the guys property.

Attached Files:

2. BuckNeccid

BuckNeccid Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:34 PM
    He deserves 3 weekends in the stocks in the public square, tomatoes flung at him (oh wait, those are too expensive, we'll find something else), then a flogging at the end of his sentence.

3. eagleone1983

Local Time:
    I know. I badly want steal it and make it right. I wonder what mods had to be done to that unibody to make that kind of lift. I know it's a 1970 but other than that can't tell.

4. sicksatellite

sicksatellite Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:34 AM
    I think that's Awesome!! I'd drive it!

5. satellite plumah

satellite plumah Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I wouldnt even think of building it ..but..Iprobly would drive it if someone gave it to me.

6. eagleone1983

Local Time:
    Well of course we'd all drive it, I'd run over some chevys!

7. Satellite65

Satellite65 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Use rocks. Then you can pick 'em up and use 'em again (reduce, re-use, recycle - green ageda - LOL)

Just kidding. Hey, it's his car, he can do whatever he wants to it.

8. wannadrag

wannadrag Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:34 PM
    During the monster truck craze around here in the late 70s that was a pretty common thing to do putting car bodys on 4x4 chassis.

9. 696pack

696pack Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You could say the same thing to me about my REAL 1978 Little Red Express Truck (2188 made) that has the factory original 360 police engine replace with a 440 Magnum and converted to 4X4 as the factory never built one in
    4X4.
    BUT, it is my car and I am happy with it.

10. sicksatellite

Local Time:
    Awesome!! BIG RED EXPRESS!

11. TommyShameless1978

TommyShameless1978 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I don't think anyone would say the same thing about yours. Yours is actually really nice. A 4x4 Roadrunner...ummm, not so much.

12. detmatt1

detmatt1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    First off I'd like to say that I would be interested to see the Plymouth B-body 4X4 up close, not saying I like it, just want to see it better and second, nice truck 696pack!

13. 74Satellite

74Satellite Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Those are excellent magazine worthy pics of big red...all four tires are visible on the low angle, and nothing is growing out the roof. and excellent scenary to boot.

14. moparmaniac75

moparmaniac75 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    nice truck 696pack and to each their own as how to build their cars and trucks we dont scold you guys for building cars with different size engines than what the factory had put in them or building a clone so leave that guy alone personally I like it

15. eagleone1983

Local Time:
    Don't get me wrong I'm not scolding anyone or saying that this guy should be hung for what he did to that car. I actually thought it was awesome when I saw it because I've never seen one before except for a micromachine I had when I was a kid.

Matt, maybe someday I'll see him outside and talk to him about it...hopefully be able to find out how he did it and get some pics.

74Satellite, looks like somebody reads the articles :)

16. 696pack

696pack Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    In response to all of the above posts.

Thanks for all the compliments on my truck.

To each their own. Much of what we do with this old cars have it's roots in hot rodding which began with guys taking what they though were cool looking old cars and making them COOLER looking, adding newer drivetrains, suspensions, brakes, etc. It really hasn't changed all that much. Some people consider themselves purist and want the car as it came from the factory. However MANY of them talk out of both sides of their mouths because the do internal engine mods, paint the unerside of the car as smooth and shiney as the top side, etc, etc.

Myself I am JUST A CAR GUY. I do them the way I want them. I don't re-surface suspension parts to "appear" unpainted cast parts or the look alike cosmoline items. I paint most of those thing black just to keep them from rusting. I like an original looking body, interior, engine & comparment. I like period correct (including aftermarket) wheels & big tires. I especially like internal drivetrain mods to make it run better than stock. I am spoiled because of the modern cars and like hidden creature comforts like good stereo, power windows and A/C. This is just me.

Regarding how the guy did the 4X4 conversion on the subject car, it is not that hard. You just find a chassis that will fit wheel base wise for the body you want to use. If you can't find one you just shoten of lengthen the frame. Truck equipment companies do it all the time for flatbeds, service bodies etc. The trickiest then is making the steering column work because of the different angle from the stock car to the 4X4 chassis, but there are ready made product to over come this problem.

17. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hmmm.... anyone know the wheelbase of a Ramcharger or a 70's-80's truck by chance?

18. sicksatellite

Local Time:
    ramchargers are 106"......reg cab shortbox's are 115". I built a 4x4 '77 dodge tradesman fullsize van a few years back. I tried to set the van sub-frame on a ramcharger frame....wouldn't work. Had to flip the axles, build custom mounts for the front diff, add the t-case, and fab it all together. Worked out pretty good. Cam'd 360, 35" mudders, and a 14000lb winch out front. Sorry for the huge pic...I still haven't figured out how to re-size them

Attached Files:

19. Ron 73

Ron 73 Deceased, But not forgotton

Local Time:
    Looks kind of cool to me. I wouldn't do it but is different in its own way, best of both worlds to a car guy, Seen someone who did a 71 Chevelle El-Camino like this really did look good..

20. Ron 73

Ron 73 Deceased, But not forgotton

Local Time:
    Nice truck....Nice view!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.