• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 833 Transmission part# questions

69SportSatellite

Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
Once again I turn to those of you who know a lot more about these things then I do.

I have a Bellhousing with a PN of 2468372 which i understand is for a 1965/1966 BB, per Roseville Moparts. I acquired this with an A833 that has the console (dog leg?) shifter and linkage.

The following PNs are on the transmission and I was hoping someone could decode or identify them for me:

C 95664 Z with a 3 - 18 on the raised pad above it (linkage side of the case)
C 96707 J (tail shaft/non-linkage side)
C 96561 H with a 4 A just above it (non-linkage side of the case).

My understanding is that I will need a 10.5" clutch -- and I would assume them a 10.5" flywheel?

Also, will all of this bolt up properly to a 1967 440? Pretty sure it will, but if not, then better to know now than later!

Thanks,

Chris

Those numbers are just casting numbers and don't mean anything to us. What you want to do is see if the tranny has a raised pad on the case opposite the side cover. If so then it's a 68 and newer and that pad will likely have a VIN or partial VIN on it. From there you can decode what car it came from. Also measure the front bearing retainer and check the spline count. Slip yoke type? Then 65 or 66 and later. Long tail shaft with shifter pad close to case? B body. Dual shifter pads and long shaft? 70 B or E body. Short shaft with one shifter pad then A body.

OK - so I took another look at it:

It doesn't have a raised pad for the VIN, so it's pre-68
It has a slip yoke (the one that came with the driveshaft from the '67 440 Imperial 727 A/T fits like a glove
It has the long tail shaft with shifter pad close to case, so it's a B Body.
I am attaching a photo of the bearing retainer since I cannot differentiate one from the other.

But I'm guessing it's a 1965-66 since there is a 3X14X65 stamped on on the driver's side of the case on a raised pad.

bearing retainer.jpg

It's the smaller bearing (307) trans which is 1969 and back.

Auto Transport Service
Back