• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C Compressor Eliminator Pulley

Dodger3000

Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi altogether

I intend (and already did so) to remove the A/C Compressor in order to gain a better look onto my big fat refreshed 318cui engine ;)
Car is a 1971 Dodge Charger.

Unfortunately I have some problems in working out a practical solution for rearranging the belt going from the crankshaft pulley to the alternator pulley which before powered the A/C Compressor also.
For BigBlock-Engines an "A/C to Non-A/C-Conversion Kit" is available and by the way not too expensive (about $150.00) but not for the Chrysler SmallBlocks. Any Idea? Tried to find something on the Dorman HomePage but without success :(
Independent of this circumstance I would be much obliged getting a picture posted by someone of you showing a similiar SmallBlock like I have without A/C. There must have been cars in former times which left the factory without an A/C. I can't believe that these cars had some dummies instead of the compressor.

Regards,
Joachim

It looks to me that you should be able to install earlier non A/C pulleys, and from the looks of it you are almost there. I'm wondering if the short alternator spacer needs to go against the head rather than the bracket for better belt alignment (hard to tell by the picture).

Hi!

What I found out is that my A/C waterpump pulley is not as deep as a non-A/C waterpump pulley I ordered a few minutes ago. Hope that will be the solution. Was afraid that it will become a little bit more complicated.

The alternator now is at its lowest position. The lower bracket is currently still missing.
When tightening the alternator-waterpump-crankshaft belt the alternator has to be lifted a good piece.

Bought one for the waterpump but the diameter of this new non A/C pulley is now bigger than it was before. That means that the new non A/C water pump pulley and the crankshaft pulley will, theoretical, overlap. Beside this the non A/C pulley I ordered and already got is as deep as the A/C pulley what means that the waterpump pulley and the alternator pulley still do not have the correct alignment. Don't really know what to do now.

Last edited:
Guten Tag!
I think I can help you out. I did the same thing on my 318 and have some #'s for you. NAPA belt # 15435 for the alt and if you need, belt # 15455 for wp & ps. The alt belt will travel below the wp shaft and ride in the outside groove of a double groove alt pulley. You will think that it will not work/fit, but it does. I am running it right now. I also purchased a alt bracket kit from Mancini Racing and it works great together. I had trouble coming up with a factory style pulley as well and the $ thing was a factor too. If you need the Mancini part #, let me know and I will locate my receipt. I think it was around $30-40 w/ shipping- it would be a non ac kit complete with brackets, bolts, spacers & instructions. Black in color or you can get chrome (at least 200hp gain- ha ha). good luck!

Last edited:
I found a pic I took awhile back. Hope it helps. Don't mind the dirt, she just woke up from a 7 year nap. I can't take the credit with coming up with this config, a fellow club member helped me out as he did the same thing.

100_1114.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back