• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C removal

Daniel Foster

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I’ve got a 68 Charger with non functioning A/C. Can I remove this and still retain a heater core? I don’t know if they are integrated together. If they are integrated is it a pain in the butt to install a new heater core? The only A/C parts still in the car are the ones in the interior.

Also, will removing the A/C provide access to the interior side of the bulkhead connectors? The root of my problem is needing to access the interior side of the bulkhead connectors for repairs of a burned up wire.

Thanks.

The heater & A/C evaporator are serviced as a single part.... If you remove the A/C & plan to install a non A/C heater box the firewall is different so you'll be patching holes & making new holes.....

Personally I'd leave the A/C & get it working.... I'd use a Sanden Compressor with the original interior components....

I was considering removing the A/C to gain access to the interior bulkhead connectors. There are some repairs to the bulkhead wires I need to make but the A/C is in the way. The SOL wire from the starter relay fried the J terminal on the bulkhead connection and I don’t know how else to get in there to fix it.

I was considering removing the A/C to gain access to the interior bulkhead connectors. There are some repairs to the bulkhead wires I need to make but the A/C is in the way. The SOL wire from the starter relay fried the J terminal on the bulkhead connection and I don’t know how else to get in there to fix it.

Unplug the connectors in the engine compartment then pop the bulkhead connector out from the inside... There's enough wire to flex the harness down near the brake/throttle to work on it...

Unplug the connectors in the engine compartment then pop the bulkhead connector out from the inside... There's enough wire to flex the harness down near the brake/throttle to work on it...

To be clear, you'll do the work from the inside... The connector is held by spring clips that are released from outside... The two arrows point to the top clips, there are two more on the bottom... Easy...

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 5.36.56 PM.png

And pulling the steering column will give a lot more room and is easier than removing the heater box.
Mike

Hey guys. I’ve got a 68 Charger with non functioning A/C. Can I remove this and still retain a heater core? I don’t know if they are integrated together. If they are integrated is it a pain in the butt to install a new heater core? The only A/C parts still in the car are the ones in the interior.
Also, will removing the A/C provide access to the interior side of the bulkhead connectors? The root of my problem is needing to access the interior side of the bulkhead connectors for repairs of a burned up wire.
Thanks.

They are definitely integrated. The system actually works very, very well when restored. There are several important parts to get "right" when rebuilding them. Removing the box will NOT help with access to the bulkhead. There is a plastic duct for the left side outlet that must be removes after removing the column trim plate. I replaced several Packard connectors in my main harness without disturbing my AC.

If you do decide to convert to "no AC", you'll need to source a complete B body box, controls, etc, and a section of firewall, as it is vastly different. Then you'll get to weld. And there are several parts of the AC box that are valuable if in good condition - the flex duct hoses for the fresh air, defrost, and discharge air in particular. Do not damage them taking it apart.

Thanks guys for the advice and saving me the headache of removing the A/C. I’ll definitely go with your suggestions.

Auto Transport Service
Back