• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A comparison of two cities' education, tax, and crime levels.

SteveSS

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
I was researching some places to live in Wyoming.

Besides having NO STATE INCOME TAX, In Wyoming, Laramie, a city of about 32,400 people An estimated 52.7% of adults in the area have a bachelor’s degree or higher, and 25% have post-graduate degrees. The combined sales taxes are 6%.

Number of CrimesViolent 73Property 492Total 565

Then if found this.

The minimum combined 2023 sales tax rate for Chicago, Illinois is 10.25%. This is the total of state, county, and city sales tax rates.

An alarming report has revealed that dozens of Chicago schools claim no students are proficient in either math or reading despite the state and federal government funneling billions of dollars into education in the Windy City.

Number of CrimesViolent 23,449Property 64,221Total 7,670

What other differences can you think of?

You didn't list the population of Chicago. You need per Capita statistics

your numbers don’t add up for Chicago

Plus you should include sales tax for Wyoming and income tax for Illinois

Besides using per capita stats for crime and education, you need to consider all taxes. States/cities without income tax make some or most of it in property, gas, vehicle registration, and other taxes. There are websites that share this data that are very informative, so no need to calculate yourself.

But yes, in general, almost any less populated area is going to look better in many stats than urban areas.

Yes, as I stated the combined sale tax in Laramie is 6% but there is no state income tax. I couldn't find the state income tax number for Illinois. I heard someone on the radio say, "If you win the lottery, first move to Texas or Wyoming before you pick up your winnings."

Laramie is 18 (Mostly property, few violent) total crimes per 1000 residents.
Chicago is 33 (About 1/3 violent crimes.) per 1000 residents. You're right, they don't add up. Sorry, I was ripping them from a table. I fixed it. The last column is total crimes.

In Sheridan, Wyoming the violent crime rate is below 1% It is .5%. per 1000 for 2021, the latest numbers I could find.
Funny, even the lady narrator of one video I watched called Wyoming cities, "Manly." The activities were hiking, hunting, camping, rodeo, snowmobiling, and dirt bike riding.

I wonder what will happen when a biological male tries to enter the female rodeo sport of Barrell Racing.

Last edited:
I haven't drawn any conclusions from the data to be on the safe side. If you are interested in the number of shootings and murders in Chicago, "Hey Jackass" is an excellent site.

Last edited:
Seattle and San Francisco property crimes are double that of Chicago. Mostly homeless crimes. Not as much gang crime.

Texas and Florida don’t have a State income tax either.

Auto Transport Service
Back