• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A deal is a DEAL....But what if it is verbal and both sides remember differently ?

That is the direction I intend to take after this deal is done.

For me, my word is my bond - I will not beak it.

IMHO, if you remember giving your word to do the bodywork and paint, then you need to be true to your word and do that.

My suggestion is get that done as you promised, then give it back to him. You should not feel backed into a corner to do anything else.

For me, my word is my bond - I will not beak it.

IMHO, if you remember giving your word to do the bodywork and paint, then you need to be true to your word and do that.

My suggestion is get that done as you promised, then give it back to him. You should not feel backed into a corner to do anything else.

like this gentleman said if the deal was body work paint then do just that and give him the car back/tow it to his house and end the drama. Forget E mails and never put anything in writing like what you did. Or just give him what you think you owe him and give him the car back now. No offense but your playing into this to much. I don't get involved in these i'll do this if you do that deals as they never work out. I won't even work for friends for any money. If i can't do in on the cuff i aint doing it. Anytime you take money than friendship or not it becomes a business deal and you need to have the agreement iron clad. Ive been down this road before and it was always a problem. Honestly i think the guy is stroking you off,you said body and paint which means body and paint not restore the whole car. Your friend aint car stupid,he knows what body and paint means and he figures he will get you to do more. Don't fall for this and if it were me id square up with him and tow that car home and avoid a potential head ache

Update:

Today the owner came over and decided to kibosh the whole deal !
He admitted that he knew he'd never finish the car if it were at his place so it was either I did 98% of the work or he wanted out. He made a reasonable offer for me to keep everything including the truck, the Valiant all the parts. There is a running 340 engine, an 833 trans, an 8.75 axle, .87 Torsion bars, front and rear sway bars, etc. All of this and what I already made on the parts that I sold, I just have to cut him a check. This means I can set the Valiant out back and go back to work on other projects that I can finish in less time.
Not a bad outcome, all things considered!

A deal is a DEAL....But what if it is verbal and both sides remember differen...

I'm glad that you were able to get out of the deal!

like said, he was just looking for a way to get work done he knew he would never do or pay to have done.

sounds like it ended well for both parties. like said, friendships and business hardly ever mix well.

Been in this situation before too where I say one thing, and the other person hears something else. It's pretty common that people want to hear what they want to hear and well, it can be a problem. Years ago I told my youngest that I would do what I could to put her through school but I was about to retire and would not never end up living under a bridge for her but what she heard was I would do everything I could and would live under a bridge for her. Well, she quit school in the middle of her jr year and expected me to pay for that too. I should have handed her the whole bill. On top of that, she just had to go to one of the best schools in the country. Several years later at 65 years old, I'm facing a 100k school bill and she's working a crap job and spending her free time wasting away on video games. So, it's not just friends and acquaintances, it's family too. You have to be really careful about what you say and do around the people you consider close to you because they can (and a lot of them do) really put the screws to you. I love my daughter but she's somewhat self centered and I have to be stand offish with her at times. She's always coming over with the 'hey dad, do you have (fill in the blank) that I can borrow?" The word borrow to her means 'have'.

A year ago she wrecked her car and the insurance totaled it but it was fixable so she bought it back so I could fix it. She paid for the parts and I fixed it including doing paint work and she pocketed 4500 bucks and I got a Mexican dinner. Then she asks me if I will ever start working on my Belvedere!! My reply was when I get out from under her school loan and when I don't have to work on her crashed cars anymore. :grin:

And the relationship is preserved?

Yeah...The guy said that in the interest of keeping the friendship, he was willing to admit that he may have misunderstood the offer. He even offered to help with anything I needed on the car in regards to documentation, historical data and so forth. He didn't want a car to tarnish a friendship. I was impressed and humbled by that.

Yeah...The guy said that in the interest of keeping the friendship, he was willing to admit that he may have misunderstood the offer. He even offered to help with anything I needed on the car in regards to documentation, historical data and so forth. He didn't want a car to tarnish a friendship. I was impressed and humbled by that.

Way to stand up!
I tell my employees 99% of ALL of the "issues" that arise in the course of a project could have been avoided with a consistent method and effort at communication!

I agree. It stands to be repeated though that even with friends, a clear understanding is very important.

Auto Transport Service
Back