• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A deal is a DEAL....But what if it is verbal and both sides remember differently ?

Hmmmmm......My take on this is that if this fella is doing this to you, he has done it to someone else as well. I would bet that if you really thought about it you would remember times when he has acted this way with others about other things too. This sounds like a behavior problem and those don't just pop up usually. He KNOWS he is pushing you to do more than YOU agreed to do. If you cave and do it, he will smugly think he has won, again, and do it to the next guy too. Guys like this prey on others good will and they expect you to cave because it would be rude to call him a cheat. My wife is a retired cop, and, a retired reality therapist. She says that you should get him in a formal meeting, with a witness, and tell him in clear terms what you are willing to do, and why. Slide a written contract reflecting that offer under his nose and then shut up. Let him fume and posture all he wants to. He will do one of two things, either accept or decline and launch into bad behavior. Upon acceptance, do the work and forget it, if declined point out that his reaction is no decent way to treat someone that has tried to help you out and suggest that he is unfit to be your friend, much less a car club president who should be looking for ways to help out the members and lead them in their efforts to fix their cars instead of trying to take advantage of them. Cut him loose and enjoy your life. Our humble opinions.

Yep,give those two junkers back and haul his project back to him.This will never end well anyways so end it now.

and people tend to "hear" what they want to hear!????? and people are funny..... be they friends or just car acquantances.....

I had a car friend that restored a 67 hemi X then stored it in his pole bldg., with crushed limestone gravel floor. 5 year s later, it had become overcome with mouse pee and poop, the interior trashed by them, the re chromed bumpers rusted bad, would not run..... he wanted to sell it to pay for seminary school. wanted me to sell it for him, he gave a price, I wanted 5% commission.. I sent him a buyer that paid his price, then HE doesn't want to pay me my 5%, wanted to pay it in PARTS! ha the deal was for 5% CASH! ha
I said fine,parts better than nothing??? ........ go figure.....and is a wanta be minister... something there just does not add up?

Sounds like he's taken advantage of your kindness...

IMO If he's a real friend he would/should understand,
be sympathetic to your needs, your helping him not the other way around,
& just maybe you don't want a " full on restoration project" &
the time needed to put 3 years into "his project"...

I say tell him straight up, you will only do what you originally agreed to,
the rest will be on him & if he doesn't spend more time & actually do more work,
on "his restoration project", than you want it gone,
it's taken up room &/or taking way too long, it's not what you signed up for...

Friend or not tough love is sometimes necessary...
If he's areal friend he will understand too...

Maybe it's just me, but I would be straight up with the guy,
I'd certainly set boundaries now, it's carried on far enough...

Remember your doing him a favor, not the other way around...

Good luck, it may be harsh, but be tough & stand your ground, that's my advise...

Get over the Mr Nice guy crap and lay down the law, your beating yourself up over a misunderstanding which isn't your problem! I've been in the same pickles and flat out refuse to touch anybodies car unless family or friend and I mean really, really good friend. It's not worth beating yourself up over. The way I see it this guy is trying to milk everything out of you and if he can't understand then he's not much of a friend anyways. In the future NEVER commit to someone elses headaches because they always end up being just that..... headaches.

Personally I think you are nuts for dealing with his type of person, surely you have better things to do with your time.

This guy agrees the advice below is good...

Dr Phil.jpg

If the guy gets all pissy about not finishing the work on his car.....walk away and get on with your own life....he ain't worth it.

Best advice I can give is spend another dime, get another hauler, and haul the car back to the owner. Your first mistake wasn't offering to do the P&B, it was compromising on the re-deal. Once he knows you'll compromise, he'll just keep coming back for more and more from you. The best thing to do is get out from under the whole deal and take the car back. He'll get pissed for a while, but he'll know you were right and settle down.

You are a knucklehead
For being a knucklehead,
You must take your medicine and
Fully restore the man's car like you promised..lol

I was there Kern dog!
I heard you tell him: "I will restore the car for you"

So, you better get going.....

Only kidding!

tee-hee-hee!

Gee, is it the valiant vert?
Wow, it need a lot of work!
Like RC says: "Only worth $200"

Sorry you fell into this man!
I hope it all works out!

$200 car.
I Thought the same thing. This turd needed floor patches, lower quarters and fenders. Some previous fool did some hack work on the floor, then laid fiberglass over it all. He replaced one lower quarter with welds that resembled popcorn. Now I am thinking that the first guy bailed out because expectations were too high.

I am both amazed and humbled by the support on this by you guys. I expected to encounter a few people that would side with the car owner but so far I see nobody doing that. Today I spoke with 2 different friends about this and while they both did side with me in general, they also had a few suggestions that I didn't think about.
One guy thought it would be fair to continue with the body and paint, then tow it back to the owners place so he could do all the rewire work, the guages and dash work, the bumpers, trim and weatherstripping. Once the engine is rebuilt by a machine shop, My friend offered to come over to stab the engine, trans, drive line, suspension and brakes. Then the car could be towed back to the owners for the last time for him to install the battery and wires, radiator & hoses, etc. Later we could get a few guys together to break in the engine.
My other friend I spoke with later thought I should just do what I had originally offered, then tell the owner that he is on his own.

In closing, that primer 65 Barracuda was painted and sold last year. I have already sold some of the extra parts the owner gave me. I painted the orange truck and plan to convert the 4 speed to a 727. In short, I am already committed to the deal. To back out at this point means I'd have to cut him a check for the approximate value of what I sold.

I can't afford any more "friends":icon_pai:
Some think because I own a tow truck, I should be their personal MOTORCLUB:blob1:

I agree there. It reminds me of Liberals that think rich people should pay much more in taxes because they will never miss the money.
Huh?
Just because somebody can do something, there is no reason that they are obligated to do so.

I agree there. It reminds me of Liberals that think rich people should pay much more in taxes because they will never miss the money.
Huh?
Just because somebody can do something, there is no reason that they are obligated to do so.

There ya go,,,,,,,,,,,just answered your OWN question:evil5:
Tell him to sign here!!!!!!!!!!!

im kinda surprised you havent laid the Logic bomb on him yet...
just ask a body shop guy or take this car to a shop and get a Quote on the Paint and body alone.

then get a Quote for the Entire car to be restored.
now hand him Both quotes and ask him what he wants to do,
as hes paid you for the Paint and bodywork so far.....

im pretty sure with both quotes in-hand,
he has no choice but to realize what hes trying to get for free isnt going to happen.

Wait until you finish the car. This guy will be bitching about every little thing. Expecting you to fix it for free. I know what these jerks are like. I built my garage to work on classic cars. The A holes convinced me to quit. Settle up financially, and get away from him. Don't let your sense of honor trap you into this mess. My neighbor had me restoring half his car. Never once offering to pay. I finally told him I'm not restoring his car for free.

Wait until you finish the car. This guy will be bitching about every little thing. Expecting you to fix it for free. I know what these jerks are like. I built my garage to work on classic cars. The A holes convinced me to quit. Settle up financially, and get away from him. Don't let your sense of honor trap you into this mess. My neighbor had me restoring half his car. Never once offering to pay. I finally told him I'm not restoring his car for free.

Also great advice! :headbang:

Kern dog - it might be easier and less stressful n the long run if you can pay back what you feel is fair on those parts etc, and just write the experience off as a big learning curve. Cut and run......you'll feel much better about your own work after that.

I sent a 2 1/2 page email to the owner yesterday. In it I went over everything that I have written about here regarding the deal that I made, the intentions I had, the limits that I set and the conditions that I'm willing to live with. I wrote of the price quote for materials from my supplier ($1976 plus approx $450 for color sanding materials). I mentioned that he is looking at $11,000-$15,000 for paint materials, engine/trans/differential rebuilding, front discs, convertible top, upholstery, weatherstrips, bumper rechroming, etc, etc. I posed several options that he could consider including a cheaper paint to use to save money. I also mentioned that buying a finished car would be cheaper and that if he wanted to abandon the project, I'd tow it back to his place.
I offered to give the car back, the parts back and the Dodge truck... plus the $2000 I made on the parts.
He has not responded yet.

I work on my own stuff... and my own stuff only.

Auto Transport Service
Back