• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A deep dive into the Crazy Larry, Dirty Mary Charger.

That was a good movie also. As we all know vanishing point was one of the best movies of all times.

I never realized it but… that car had the vinyl top removed and the lower trim still applied to the car. I thought that looked good on
the General Lee cars in the Dukes series. I’m definitely losing the vinyl top on mine, but haven’t decided if I want to remove the lower trim and weld up the holes.

The article said Vic Morrow hated helicopters. He had a premonition he was going to die in one. Well, he died from one in Twilight Zone The Movie.

:thumbsup:

1678983327205.jpeg

I had not yet watched the movie when we painted our car in 1988. The movie car is supposedly the same color... but I never felt the paint popped on the old film as to what it does in real life. Our 69 is Citron yellow or curious yellow as I typically call it, it has faded some but doesn't look to bad for a 35 year old paint job. It does change colors w light. My 10 year old nephew noticed riding in it how much attention the car gets.....he said "everyone is waving at staring at us". He gets a kick out of riding in it. Of course the most fun was his reaction going through the gears full throttle for the first time! Movies certainly had a influence on us as we saw Smoky and the Bandit in the theater and my brother has a 77 TA.

Screenshot_20230216_114530_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what is that color called? Because in the move when the old guy and his truck get hit by the charger and then he tells the police officer that all he saw was a yellow flash! Make me wonder .....So is it yellow? Or a light lime green of sorts???

The movie car was 1971 Dodge Citron yellow/ Plymouth curious yellow...it is a yellow w a green hue in it. Sometimes it looks like a very bright yellow...sometimes the lime green is noticable. As our car paint has aged the green isn't quite as noticable. The 71 citron yellow also gets confused w the 70 sublime but citron is more yellow then green. 70 Sublime is more green then yellow. As it states in the write up, the movie was remastered in '05 and the color changed. So the movie car as most of us had seen it looked different then then it does remastered. But it is a hard color to catch on camera.
We have a original curious yellow 71 340 duster as well. Got to love the high impact colors!

Last edited:
I was considering Citron yellow for the 1970 Coronet although I know that's a '71 color.

It's funny to hear TV announcers try to make up something about the Curious Yellow name. It came from a very popular X-Rated movie at the time called, "I Am Curious Yellow." It was one of those movies people went to, to show they were hip. Jacque Kennedy was coming out of the theater and a paparazzi took her photo. She must have had judo classes because she flipped the photographer on his ***.

When I was a kid we called Inviolet, Statutory Grape.

Kennedy.jpg

Last edited:
The Dodge guys wanted to call Plum Crazy, statutory grape,but the Chrysler executives shot that name down!

I believe this car to be the only Charger used in the movie to survive the filming . The 68 Charger R/T was crashed into the train in the first take of the final scene,but the explosives did not explode,so the non R/T 69 was used for the second take the next day,and exploded on cue! In the second photo the damage to the drivers side rear quarter behind the wheel caused in the chase scene with the Police interceptor is clearly visible,but the Charger that hits the train is not damaged behind the wheel on the drivers side rear quarter. This damaged area is seen after being repaired on the car sitting in the California backyard. The last picture shows the cast with the only surviving Charger,Susan gives the camera man the one finger wave!

dmclsmashedcar2.jpg

Ndvd_537b.jpg

4545464.jpg

tumblr_md4f3tU3291qh50swo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
The final take of the last scene. This is the only scene where the headrests are used,they were used to prop up the dummies for the final crash scene. In the last picture the rear window is blown out by the detonation of the explosives.

fguyherbgard7ym5.7780.jpg

Ndvd_409.jpg

undamaged.jpg

1enlargedpossibleDMCLcharger4.jpg

DMCLpossible4thcharger2.jpg

R (10).jpg

Last edited:
This is the 68 Charger R/T stunt car,notice the 69 taillights cobbled into the 68 tailpanel. The round marker light can be seen on the rear quarter,no reverse lights in the rear valence pan,like the car in the last picture.

DMCL 4.jpg

54339.jpg

notherpossibleDMCL69.jpg

Some noted differences between the two 69 Chargers used in the movie. One has the tall front bumperetts one does not. The non R/T badged 69 was believed to be an SE so it didn't have Charger script emblems on the sailpanels.

101272.jpg

101266.jpg

101263.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back