• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A good video about the 1973 Grand Am

SteveSS

Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
Most people don't know what the 70's Grand Am was or just remember the crappy 90's Grand Am. I'm not going to apologize for this not being a Mopar. I'm a Mopar fan but I enjoy owning and learning about other cars. As you guys know I have two of these cars although neither is finished. This is a good history of the car and the video is aptly named the right car at the wrong time. These were 400 and 455 C.I. cars right as the old embargo started. I was lucky enough to be 16 years old right when Mom bought her 455 GA. That thing was a torque monster! I didn't know anything about power braking to do a burnout, I just floored it and the tire turned to smoke and the car didn't move.

Seen these around here and the Grand Prix's of that era during the 80's a lot. Rarely seen around these parts today. Small road trip this past weekend I saw a Grand Prix, closer to 74/75ish when the square tail lights were more pronounced IIRC. Didn't do much for me back then but funny how I miss seeing them when I run across one today.

We’ve got a ‘73 Grand Am and a ‘73 Lemans Sport lined up to be in the MCACN Malaise Era Muscle feature at the show next week. I can’t wait to see them (along with the other 30 cars in the display and the other 550 cars in the show)!

Last edited:
Most people don't know what the 70's Grand Am was or just remember the crappy 90's Grand Am. I'm not going to apologize for this not being a Mopar. I'm a Mopar fan but I enjoy owning and learning about other cars. As you guys know I have two of these cars although neither is finished. This is a good history of the car and the video is aptly named the right car at the wrong time. These were 400 and 455 C.I. cars right as the old embargo started. I was lucky enough to be 16 years old right when Mom bought her 455 GA. That thing was a torque monster! I didn't know anything about power braking to do a burnout, I just floored it and the tire turned to smoke and the car didn't move.

Always thought these cars were really cool, plus I'm a pontiac fan at heart.

I spent more than a few school hours sketching these in my notebook when they came out. Lots of style for a time when things were pretty bland and the style has held up well in my opinion.

My land lady had one. Great video. Well done.

There's a 1974 Grand Am for sale on EBAY ending in 32 minutes. If I didn't already have one I'd buy it.

There are a whole bunch of design renderings at Dean's Garage when the GA was going to be the next GTO.

’73 GTO/Grand AM Development

05loczi.jpg

I spent more than a few school hours sketching these in my notebook when they came out. Lots of style for a time when things were pretty bland and the style has held up well in my opinion.
I agree Greg, although it is an acquired taste, as when I had mine, I did get a lot of hate towards its looks.

2012, found this one in Utah for £1300. Needed nothing. I absolutely loved it. Fantastic car!
IMG_2038.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back