• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A hard lesson on tires

I may have to replace my tires on my project as I'm sure it's close to 6 yrs and it's never been on the road! One of the first things I bought, should have been the last I guess.

Just had the rear blow on the way home from Carlisle 275/60/15 redline that was 2 years old .
The heat ,distance travelled all played a factor in it .
Butttt , my spare also blew that was an unused brand new tire that was sitting in the trunk for
10 years so the story is also check your spares .
Lucky no damage to my car .
Yeah some questionable manufacturing going on here. Probably cant manufacture them correctly any longer because of epa.

I believe it. Probably worse in the southwest. I had a flat on my daily driver last week and there were dry cracks throughout the tire I couldn't see when it was aired up. Probably 4 years old on the set. But it sits outside which probably contributed.

Guy on FABO had his car trashed when a blown tire took out a bunch of sheetmetal.

And for me, I've had a blow out three times in my life and all three started as a vibration that would come and go as felt through the steering wheel. The last was in my 62, 50 miles west of Albuquerque doing 70 mph. Blew out and the damned hubcap passed us on the shoulder.

Probably cant manufacture them correctly any longer because of epa.
Yeah, kinda wondered that myself.
Just did a little research, and it's there. But, no idea how far back it goes, when it started coming up. Almost consider myself lucky? Read some reports, results of it happening, some were injured, some deaths, from roll-overs and the like.

I called it a blow-out, but tread separated, core movement lost the rim seal...and it blew! Told my youngest son what happened, and he had never heard of tire age, either. At least I'm not the dang lone ranger!

Glad I posted on this forum, for more exposure, glad some are getting informed...wish the hell I had been.

I had bf Goodrich tires from 2003 replaced them last year wife said year earlier the sides have small cracks in them. Replaced them with cooper cobras and those tires need alot of balance weights. Cruising down the road lost two wheel weights made horrible sound took be awhile to figure out what it was. Because those coopers pick up rocks easily due to the read pattern.

When I bought my 69, it had a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's on it. The tread looked good! No cracks. I looked up the manufacture date, 12 years old! I replaced them the following day. My buddy has a body shop, he says old tires keep his shop busy!

Dry rot is a big problem here in the southwest. Don't matter who's brand. My Cooper Cobra's started to crack in 2 years.General's started after 4 years.BFG aren't cracked just old. Now running Hercules on 3 different vehicles. Comes from 3 different countries.China, Thailand, and hard to believe U.S.A.

And I remember the days, when I had my 63 Sport Fury. Never worried about the rears, 10" wide cheater slicks. Fronts, never could afford 'new', so usually got 'may pops'. Mid to later 60s. Anybody else remember those?

I just bought 4 new firestones for my daily driver. I bought it 3 months ago a 2005 malibu it had spent most of its 13 years in a garage. It had 13000 miles on it. I put 2 thousand on it in 2 months and tuesday it had belts on at least one tire start to separate. Firestone said they would drill a hole in the sidewall for me so no one would try to use them. with 15000 miles they still look great.

Should not the price adjust with the quality of the product? Low quality low price. Isn't that the American way? Wait, it may be low quality high price.

Think I would be way too scared to ride out a new vibration on the interstate in my antique RR. Driving it on the interstate in traffic is pretty intense.

also look at the speed rating of tire. most tires are speed rated for high way. but the knock offs can be different. this will sound funny but use hand lotion on the tires if going to sit for long periods of time. it really helps with the rubber and doesn't allow the dry rot.

also look at the speed rating of tire. most tires are speed rated for high way. but the knock offs can be different. this will sound funny but use hand lotion on the tires if going to sit for long periods of time. it really helps with the rubber and doesn't allow the dry rot.
I’ve heard Petroleum jelly works well also for tires sitting around

the p jelly i have used before and i'm good with that. don't let your neighbors see you outside with gloves on and a big bottle of it. they may wonder what you are really up too lol.

The wife doesn't understand why I put new tires on
when they look just great.
Along with my Mopar I also own an an older Vette.
Just think what damage a blown tire would do to
a fiberglass fender

I know my tire shop says 6 years on trailer tires. Does anyone know how to decipher the numbers to tell the age of a tire? Would be good to know so you don't end up with a new tire that's already 2-3 years old.
Google it , tells exactly how to decode

Just had a good look at my fender...:mad:

Worst than I though, tread doing some hard hits. Crumpled the bottom front of the wheel opening some. Bottom rear of the opening, completely caved in, as far as it could go. And, insult to injury, tread 'rode' halfway down the lower part of the door, leaving tire scuff marks.
Will have to pull the fender, for sure. What a frigging bitch.
Glad you're ok. Do you have classic car insurance? Collision coverage? You can put in a claim for the damage.

Auto Transport Service
Back