• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Tribute to a Car

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to my first car that I just recently sold.

First of all, I will try to channel my inner @moparedtn and tell a story here. I'm sure it won't be near as good as his are, but hopefully folks will enjoy it. Secondly, @PlymCrazy posted a thread awhile back cataloging cars his dad had as a tribute to his father. I just sold my 1973 Road Runner that had been in the family for 42 years, so I'm feeling a bit melancholy about it. I won't even try to compare it to @PlymCrazy losing his dad, but instead link to his idea that posting memories can be a good way to talk about meaningful history.

In that vein, here is the story of my 1973 Plymouth Road Runner. Although it is not the rarest and most sought after Mopar, it had a major impact on my life and was a great 'member of the family' for many years.

The Beginning:
A 1973 Road Runner is built. It is Tahitian Gold Metallic (yeah, that's brown), with a 340, 727 and 3.55 sure grip rear. It has a parchment/ gold interior, bucket seats, console with Slap Stik, rear window defroster and A/C. It also has power disc/ drum brakes and power steering. I'm sure it served it's duty in the Philadelphia area driving around. At some point in the 70's, someone converts the four barrel to a two barrel intake and carb. Maybe due to the fuel crisis?

Jump to 1981. Ronald Reagan had just been sworn in as president. The band Metallica forms, as does MTV. Cars built then become the 'malaise era' of cars. And Walter Cronkite retires.
... and my sister needs a car for school.

Now my sister's boyfriend at the time was into hotrods. He had a white 70 Ford Torino he had souped up and he gave me a ride in his car and hammered the throttle around our suburban streets. Man, was I hooked - this is probably the defining moment that caused me to get into cars! His car looked similar to the picture below, although he had Keystone Classics (IIRC), and no stripe on the trunk or hood. But man, it was cool! I wanted something like that when I got a car!
1690820332212.png

Of course, my sister, not wanting to be shown up by her boyfriend, decided SHE would drive a hotrod too. So she found the following ad in the Philadelphia Inquirer (this is the actual ad for the car, glued to a piece of paper with notes).
(Also note: in some other posts here on FBBO, I said the car was purchased in 1979. I would have sworn to that under oath, but I found the below paperwork that proves my memory wrong. So, here I have corrected the dates and story.)
original_RR_ad.jpg

So my dad and sister went to Philadelphia to look at it. My dad actually really liked the car, thought it ran really well, and managed to negotiate a decent deal for the car. Here is the agreement he wrote up to buy the car (I left off names and signatures):
Partial sales agreement.jpg

So there it was. For $1030, on the 31st of July 1981, my sister had a car! We got pictures of it as my dad drove it up the driveway. These two pictures were taken probably an hour or two after the car was purchased.
Dad_RR_driveway_front.jpg

Dad_RR_driveway_back.jpg

Over the next two years my sister would break up with her hot rod boyfriend, and primarily drive the car (although I got some time behind the wheel too). She really wasn't into the car too much, so she just drove it with little care for it - after all, it was just an old, used car! At one point, she hit a curb really hard and bent the steering. The mechanic said the steering box had twisted inside, but he adjusted the steering so the car would steer straight again. (Years later I sent the steering box to Firm Feel to have it built into a stage 2 box, and they charged me extra due to the twisted internal shaft that had to be replaced - so the old mechanic was 100% right!)

So this is the end of the first part of the story. Next I'll talk about when I took over the car and some of it's early history.

Feel free to comment below as you like!

Last edited:
Selling a cherished member of the family brings back memories and a whole lot of little things from moments that have been stored away. There’s always the concern of the new owners taking proper care of their new family member as well.
Hawk thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I will be following along with you.

“Sml V8”… I remember that! It was a selling point around that time as to say it wasn’t as much of a “gas hog”. :D

Ahem, 1030.00. Stickler for details as I am. Keep going, great read!

The copies of handwritten items is priceless. Especially if the person is/was close to you, yet so long ago. How great you still have access to that Hawk.

I'm surprised you sold this car. With all the long distance trips you took I thought it would be a keeper. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Cool story...
Thanks for sharing...

so you were driving your sister's car for all those years :poke:

I think my longest ownership is right now 24 years my 1999 Dakota SLT 4x4
still only has just past 60k miles, I love that lil' truck

my 2002 F-350 4x4 Diesel 6 speed Dually, sold in 2022 just over 20 years
sold to get my current Jeep Gladiator Rubican Limited Launch Edition

my current 68 RR RM23 in LL1 owned since Dec. 2005
it will be 18 years in Dec.

my 23 T Altered, I had many different combos in it, I think I just got bored
I owned/raced for like 18-ish IIRC July 1977 just before my 18th B-day
built it from the ground up, with a chassis builder guy Don Tourte...
I owned it till 1995-ish
Sold it, to move into a bigger place, I really miss that car...

I had my mom's 1968 Sport Satellite HT 383-4bbl 4 speed, in GG1/white
(her 1st ever new car) she & my stepdad ordered new in Nov. 1967
it was in the family till 1995, it was a family member for 32 years
I had owned it since 1979 (so 16 years)
I sold it about the same time as my 23 T Altered above,
when I moved up & bought a bigger place...

I had a Cortez Silver & Black 67 Camaro (real dz302 before it was a Z28 package),
later painted it a Nissan dark blue
that I took an Mark IV LS7 rect. port, roller 454 GM pref. crate engine,
started out about 600hp, progressed to over a 1,000
I got the engine in a 68 ElCamino SS, I bought off a buddy,
I had that Camaro in different renditions over maybe 15 years 1977-92-ish,
I got it back 1/2'd at Tom Alston's place in 1978
that started down a road of no return... I ran it in many
Super Chevy Sunday street tire/N2O classes, real street tire/car stuff...
My 1st doored car got into the 8's & then the 7's...
I sold it to some guy back east, in Maryland, he wrecked it post haste...
I felt bad for the car...

my 1st & beloved GG1 68 Charger R/T, I got for $350 in summer of 1974
I later painted 77' Corvette bright Yellow (I regretted that)
I owned for just under 15 years 1974-89
sold to my cousin Joe, on a whim & he totaled it in 2 weeks
I've had 12 gen 2 68-69 Charger R/Ts now

my 49 Ford Pro-gas, I owned from 1982-3 to like 1997 14-15 years
sold when I moved to Rancho Murieta, 'attempted downsizing'...

my last 68 RR the black one/turned silver, street/strip fast 8.56 @ 156 best
I had for about 12-13 years...
I sold it in 2007 to a buddy, who called my bluff when I said;
$28k today & it's yours
I perfected it, made it fast & sold it, that car I wish I had kept...
I had 2 RRs at the same time for a while overlapping...
I've had 13 RRs now, most 8 were RM23s

my pis yella' 69 RR, 440 STR-14-6bbl combo, I had for about 15 years
several engine combos

Had a few Jeeps CJs for 10 or so years each...

there was always some reason why I sold them
some, I still wonder why (?) I did too...

A while back, because of a thread on here somewhere...
I sat down & made a list of all the cars I owned,
I was sort of shocked...
Some were just driven a short time like 6 months, I fixed up got bored & sold,
made a few $$, and moved on to the next...
I owned a crapload of racecars 26 in total,
many were Trans Ams & Camaros too (I know it's a sickness)...
I'm on my 112th car/truck now, since buying the
Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition back in Nov. 2022
& most of the trucks were workhorses,
didn't keep them long, put a lot of miles on them, buy another...

(my 26-ish (?) personal trucks many were Dodge PowerWagon/Power Ram 4x4s,
70's Ford F250 4x4s, 2wd GM 1500s work truck & few 3500 diesel Dualies, tow rigs
Toyotas SR5's, 83 2wd 84 4x4, 85 4x4 1st year EFI my daughter owns it now
& my 1st tow rig a 76 C10/3100 Heavy 1/2 Stepside, 90's Kodiac
& the 02 F350 4x4 Diesel Dually tow rig, now a Gladiator
)

My biggest regret in selling any car I have sold
my Uncle Jim's
1968 Barracuda Formula-S Fastback
383-4bbl 4 speed 3.91:1 gear/sure-grip, in F8 (?) green
that I inherited from him, after he died at 39 y/o from complications
to his health from the VietNam war...
I was young & I needed the $$$, I had several other cars too...

Budnicks 23 T Ford Altered AA-Gas 6-71 Blown 301ci Donovan (1).jpg

Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg

Budnicks 67 Camaro 8.98 @ Sacramento early 1980's (brightened up a tad).png

2002 F350 Powr Stroke Diesel Dually & 27' Jayco Designer Trailer 002.JPG

Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

Budnicks 69 RR 440 str-6bbl #1.JPG

I wish I had photos of all of them

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments so far - more of the story coming soon...

Ahem, 1030.00. Stickler for details as I am. Keep going, great read!
Yeah, crap - leave it to me to screw it up already. :poke:
Nice catch and I edited my original post to fix it (I wrote $1050 by mistake. Hey those extra $20 were worth something back then!)

I'm surprised you sold this car. With all the long distance trips you took I thought it would be a keeper. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
I hope I don't regret selling it - time will tell. As to why I sold it...
The car was starting to get some issues with rust creeping up in various places. I had three choices:
(1) Keep driving it without fixing the rust issues and basically let it rust away
(2) Commit to paint and bodywork to fix the rust issues
(3) Sell it to someone who would love the car and give it the attention it deserves.

So this is when a dose of reality sets in. I didn't want to do #1. I care about the car too much to let it rust away. Option #2 sounds nice, but I am retired and my wife is retiring in a couple of months. While I do just about everything else, I am not a bodywork and paint guy. So to do #2 it would cost me big $$$ to farm it out and I just couldn't afford that right now.

So short of Chip Foose grabbing the car and Overhauling it for me, #2 wasn't going to happen. I didn't want choice #1, so that left only one choice: sell it. My goal in selling the car was to find a good new home for it. While the car had value that I needed, I would rather have taken less money for the right guy than more money to someone who would, for example, part the car out or butcher it.

Damn straight! She was pretty cool in her younger days, huh?!?

I'm glad you took that poke at you, in the fun way it was intended :thumbsup:
Heck, I would have been disappointed if nobody did!

But speaking of my sister, after two years with the car she was ready to graduate, and she wanted a new car. So what fabulous car did she set her eyes on and buy? Yes, a new Chevette!

Now pay attention, I did NOT say Corvette, I said Chevette, as in a silver four door, four cylinder automatic. Looked like this...
1690849193159.png

1690849456612.png

Now, don't ask me what came over my sister, I didn't care, because she sold me the Road Runner for $400! Thank you very much, I'll take it! :thumbsup:
You probably can't read it well, but below is the original paper from when I officially transferred the Road Runner to my name, on 4/14/83!
Tag_to_HPS_no_sganature.jpg

Since I was already seriously afflicted with the 'car bug', what did I do? Well, I backed it into my parents' garage. I preceded to tear off the 2 barrel intake manifold and carb, tear out the wimpy exhaust manifolds and then work to replace them with 'the good stuff'! The only problem was, I didn't have very much money. I managed to buy some cheap headers from a place called Liberty Automotive in Norristown, PA. I was then running really low on funds, but I managed to scrounge an aluminum SP2P manifold from a junk yard on the cheap. Yeah, yeah, today I know that is not the greatest flowing manifold, but it was WAY better than a two barrel. A four barrel was bragging rights on the street, so I didn't care (or know) what it was.
Great, but now I needed a carb, but was essentially out of money. Luckily, my uncle took pity on me since I was stranded and not able to drive my car, and he took me to Liberty and I bought a 600 CFM Holley. Now I was set!!!

Somehow all those parts got on the car, and, low and behold, the darn thing actually ran! I couldn't hook up the exhaust though, so I drove it to Midas with open headers so they could weld collectors on it. Bingo! Now I had my hot rod! I started driving it, and I had a blast. I never street raced, and I'm sure I would have gotten my butt kicked if I tried. It was, after all, a 240 HP 340 in a B body. Not the fastest thing in the world but I at least had a hot rod, where other kids were still driving their parents' four door clunkers.

I could probably fill pages of stories about the car, but I'll include just two from the early days.

(1) I was one of few kids to have my own car, and it was cool, so we mostly used my car to cruise around in. One night, after getting and drinking some beer (now remember, we were in high school, so underage), we were driving around the King of Prussia Plaza, on what is now called Mall Blvd (2 lanes each way with a large grass medial strip). A car had been following us for about a mile and on Mall Blvd he passed us. My idiot friend said the guy gave us the finger when he passed us. Well, I'll tell you, no self respecting teenager would take THAT! So I floored it and headed around the curve to show him what I was made of. Well, I guess I did... ...I never made it. The roads were wet and I got one wheel in the grass and lost control. We skidded sideways and took out a sapling tree that had a trunk about 1 1/2" in diameter. Not big, but still, We skidded to a stop with mud and sod covering the whole driver's side of the car. It had stalled, but I managed to get it started and drove off.
We drove to an all night car wash and proceeded to pull/wash off tons or dirt and sod. Somehow, absolutely no damage from the tree either! Of course, the glass bottles of beer had broken in the trunk, so that stunk. But we washed everything out and eventually made it home safely.
The next day a newspaper ran a story saying that a 4 wheel drive vehicle had 'vandalized' the medial strip! I wish now I would have kept the article, but back then I wasn't going to keep incriminating evidence against me!
We went back to the scene of the crime and my blood went cold. In the medial strip you could see the skid marks in the grass as the car went sideways. Then the tree (now down on it's side) was on a small mound. After that, for about 10 feet, there were no marks at all. Then the skid marks reappeared. So we flew sideways in the air for about 10 feet before the wheels contacted the ground again. There is no doubt there must have been divine intervention, because we should have rolled it. A good lesson that day for sure!
The final part of the story is a few weeks later my parents had a get together with some friends at their house. One of my dad's friends went up to me and quietly asked if everything turned out OK that night. He was the guy who passed us, and he was waving hello to me as he passed us! He saw us wipe out, but then saw a cop sitting in the mall parking lot. So he drove in there, and making the cop face away from us, kept the cop's attention asking for directions until he saw we had left. He never said anything to my parents either - cool guy!

(2) Shortly after I got the car my transmission went bad. So I took it to AAMCO to get it fixed. They normally swapped out transmissions, but in my case they couldn't. I was disappointed that I had to wait three days, but of course that saved the numbers matching transmission. After that was fixed, I put a shift kit into the valve body so it would shift much harder. Of course once it was in we went out to test it out. I put my Slap Stik in first and floored it. At full throttle, I slapped it right from first into reverse - the Slap Stik was not adjusted right! Yikes! The car actually went into reverse full throttle and did a reverse burn out while moving forward for a half second or so. I got it into neutral and coasted to the side of the road so I could shake the s**t out of my pants! Luckily, it never seemed to hurt anything and that transmission worked fine as long as I had the car!

I don't remember when exactly, but in the early days I also bought slotted mags from a friend because stock wheels were lame.

Next post I'll cover the college days...

Cool story...
Thanks for sharing...

I think my longest ownership is right now 24 years my 1999 Dakota SLT 4x4
still only has just past 60k miles, I love that lil' truck

my 2002 F-350 4x4 Diesel 6 speed Dually, sold in 2022 just over 20 years
sold to get my current Jeep Gladiator Rubican Limited Launch Edition

my current 68 RR RM23 in LL1 owned since Dec. 2005
it will be 18 years in Dec.

my 23 T Altered, I had many different combos in it, I think I just got bored
I owned/raced for like 18-ish IIRC July 1977 just before my 18th B-day
built it from the ground up, with a chassis builder guy Don Tourte...
I owned it till 1995-ish
Sold it, to move into a bigger place, I really miss that car...

I had my mom's 1968 Sport Satellite HT 383-4bbl 4 speed, in GG1/white
(her 1st ever new car) she & my stepdad ordered new in Nov. 1967
it was in the family till 1995, it was a family member for 32 years
I had owned it since 1979 (so 16 years)
I sold it about the same time as my 23 T Altered above,
when I moved up & bought a bigger place...

I had a Cortez Silver & Black 67 Camaro (real dz302 before it was a Z28 package),
later painted it a Nissan dark blue
that I took an Mark IV LS7 rect. port, roller 454 GM pref. crate engine,
started out about 600hp, progressed to over a 1,000
I got the engine in a 68 ElCamino SS, I bought off a buddy,
I had that Camaro in different renditions over maybe 15 years 1977-92-ish,
I got it back 1/2'd at Tom Alston's place in 1978
that started down a road of no return... I ran it in many
Super Chevy Sunday street tire/N2O classes, real street tire/car stuff...
My 1st doored car got into the 8's & then the 7's...
I sold it to some guy back east, in Maryland, he wrecked it post haste...
I felt bad for the car...

my 1st & beloved GG1 68 Charger R/T, I got for $350 in summer of 1974
I later painted 77' Corvette bright Yellow (I regretted that)
I owned for just under 15 years 1974-89
sold to my cousin Joe, on a whim & he totaled it in 2 weeks
I've had 12 gen 2 68-69 Charger R/Ts now

my 49 Ford Pro-gas, I owned from 1982-3 to like 1997 14-15 years
sold when I moved to Rancho Murieta, 'attempted downsizing'...

my last 68 RR the black one/turned silver, street/strip fast 8.56 @ 156 best
I had for about 12-13 years...
I sold it in 2007 to a buddy, who called my bluff when I said;
$28k today & it's yours
I perfected it, made it fast & sold it, that car I wish I had kept...
I had 2 RRs at the same time for a while overlapping...
I've had 13 RRs now, most 8 were RM23s

my pis yella' 69 RR, 440 STR-14-6bbl combo, I had for about 15 years
several engine combos

Had a few Jeeps CJs for 10 or so years each...

A while back, because of a thread on here somewhere...
I sat down & made a list of all the cars I owned,
I was sort of shocked...
Some were just driven a short time like 6 months, I fixed up got bored & sold,
made a few $$, and moved on to the next...
I owned a crapload of racecars 26 in total,
many were Trans Ams & Camaros too (I know it's a sickness)...
I'm on my 112th car/truck now, since buying the
Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition back in Nov. 2022
& most of the trucks were workhorses,
didn't keep them long, put a lot of miles on them, buy another...

(my 26-ish (?) personal trucks many were Dodge PowerWagon/Power Ram 4x4s,
70's Ford F250 4x4s, 2wd GM 1500s work truck & few 3500 diesel Dualies, tow rigs
Toyotas SR5's, 83 2wd 84 4x4, 85 4x4 1st year EFI my daughter owns it now
& my 1st tow rig a 76 C10/3100 Heavy 1/2 Stepside, 90's Kodiac
& the 02 F350 4x4 Diesel Dually tow rig, now a Gladiator
)

My biggest regret in selling any car I have sold
my Uncle Jim's
1968 Barracuda Formula-S Fastback
383-4bbl 4 speed 3.91:1 gear/sure-grip, in F8 (?) green
that I inherited from him, after he died at 39 y/o from complications
to his health from the VietNam war...
I was young & I needed the $$$, I had several other cars too...

View attachment 1502756

View attachment 1502757

View attachment 1502758

View attachment 1502760

View attachment 1502761

View attachment 1502764

I wish I had photos of all of them
Fyi, DZ 302 Z28 engines didn't appear until the third or fourth month of production of the 68 models they were MO designation before that and 2 bolt mains. Just sayin.

I've owned 32 vehicles during my days
as a licensed driver. Each and every
one held specific memories. There's
only one in the bunch I refuse to sell
that I've owned for 38 years. I drove
it home, happy and excited with the
purchase.
After pulling up in the driveway, and
egar to show it off to the wife, I
literally ran into the house.
Sitting on the couch, my wife in tears,
she quietly informed me that my
father had passed away.
I drove this Jeep from Roswell, NM
to New Ulm, Minn. to attend his
funeral.
photo.JPG

one held specific memories. There's
only one in the bunch I refuse to sell
that I've owned for 38 years. I drove
it home, happy and excited with the
purchase.
After pulling up in the driveway, and
egar to show it off to the wife, I
literally ran into the house.
Sitting on the couch, my wife in tears,
she quietly informed me that my
father had passed away.
I drove this Jeep from Roswell, NM
funeral.
View attachment 1502887
Wow. Yeah, usually new cars are associated with excitement and fun; the opportunity to show it off to family and friends while really getting to know its features. Sounds like you never had that chance. Instead you got to spend hours in it thinking about the loss of your dad. :(

The car actually went into reverse full throttle and did a reverse burn out while moving forward for a half second or so. I got it into neutral and coasted to the side of the road so I could shake the s**t out of my pants! Luckily, it never seemed to hurt anything
No wonder you had a vibration in the driveline before your last road trip LoL.

one held specific memories. ...
My dad having as many cars as he did has me tallying numbers myself. I'm up to (33) cars I've owned to date. Pretty darn close to your (32) :thumbsup:

...I drove this Jeep from Roswell, NM
funeral.

I drove the Roadrunner to dad's funeral. Makes the car that much more special to me.

You had to see me coming on this thread Hawk lol...

My first car was a 1959 Ford, 2 DR Ranch Wagon. Here's a pic of it in 1984 when my dad brought it home for her 25th birthday. It had a BB 352 with a 2-speed Ford-o-matic in it and a 9" rear end.

IMG_2804.jpeg

I was given (2) options on my 16th birthday. I could give my dad $2500 for his '56 Chevy or he'd give me the "59 Ford for free. I opted for the free car of course lol. Here's what it looked like in '89 when I got it. It had (2) repaints after buying it for mom, looking for the right color combo. I'm on the right. My Collie "Spike" is there in the right corner.

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back