• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A veterans story.

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
How a Veteran Sees Life.

by J. Mark Jackson ( 2nd Cav, 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne, Screaming Eagles)

I was a soldier, and I went to war. By and by I became known as a veteran. My civilian career progressed, my family grew and the Army drifted into the gray mist of memory. But the experience of military service leaves an indelible imprint on the psyche and soul of each soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine.
What is it like on a day- to -day basis, to be a veteran? To this Army combat veteran it means all of the following, and more:
Being surprised by how much 4th of July fireworks sound like a mortar attack..
...and how much a nail gun sounds startlingly like the bark of an AK- 47 when heard in the distance.
Turning to Advil as the narcotic of choice for a bad back, and creaky bones , each earned like an invisible Purple Heart.
Watching the evening news and feeling guilty for not being there and fighting beside those soldiers in the story...
...but being grateful that the country doesn't still require my service, because it was always sweltering hot and I could no longer keep up physically. This is a poignant realization for any former soldier.
Waking up from a dead sleep, frantically searching for my weapon while my wife softly says," It's all right; it's all right, your home."
Finding a lump in my throat and tears welling in my eyes when I see images of a weeping wife, or a mother holding a flag folded in a triangle.
Hearing a mother say, " Thank you for your service. Because you served, my son didn't have to." Really?
Finding the term hero applied much too liberally. Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in WW2 was a HERO. We were soldiers.
Wondering, when i forget how I filed my tax return last year, if i'm suffering from an undiagnosed TBI, or i just forgot.
Wondering, when i miss hearing words in a conversation, if i have a hearing loss caused by the close rattle of a .50 cal or was i just not paying attention.
Experiencing a slight gag reflex when a Girl Scout trys to sell me cookies because I made a pig of myself because of their generosity in sending countless boxes to the war zone.
Feeling positive about the next strong and dedicated generation of future veterans to whom we handed the baton of service.
Having a cracking , faltering voice when speaking of wartime events that trigger strong emotions, no matter how many times I speak of them.
Forever being identified as a military person based solely on an upright posture and shoulders back gait.
Buying a red paper poppy whenever i see another veteran selling them, and calling him brother when the exchange is made.
Being unable to throw those paper poppies away, ever. They seem somehow to sacred to desecrate.
Feeling a warm surge of engulfing pride, like a warm shiver, whenever the American flag passes, or during the singing of our national anthem.
Surviving a hostile staff meeting by saying to myself, " It has all been easy since..." and filling in the blank with the battle of my choice.
Feeling slightly self conscious at my childs school on Veterans Day, but also feeling important and honored.
Maintaining a slightly obsessive fetish with how a bed is made, especially on the corners.
Perpetual promptness. No event is too unimportant to not be on time or early.
Having a wave of emotion crash down while watching my son as he raises his right hand and swears the same oath as i did a generation before.
Sitting slack jawed in amazement when i realize that my family's dinner has been paid for by a table of teenage girls across the restaurant. Thank you!
No longer feeling compelled to prove my mettle- that urge was settled and sated while wearing a uniform.
Critiquing any marching organization during a parade and resisting the urge to cry out,'' LEFT, LEFT, YER LEFT RIGHT LEFT!" if it is out of step.
Gladly deferring sabre rattling to those who have never had to do it.
Grasping the knowledge that peace is eminently more precious than any state of war, regardless of the justification. Veterans know the cost of peace first hand, and that cost has a first name, a last name, a middle initial, and parents.
Remembering something that Supreme Court Justice, Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. said of his Civil War service," In our youth our hearts were touched with fire." I would add devotion, exhilaration, camaraderie, and fear. Our service in the armed forces determined who we were and continues to define who we are moving into the future. My father said about events in his life, " I wouldn't give a penny to do it again, but I wouldn't take a million dollars for the experience." Would most veterans say the same about their service? I believe so; i know i do. Further, and more important, i consider my honor to have served our country.

Pure eloquence! Mirrors my own thoughts that I never say out loud.Whoops, tears preventing me from seeing.

Pure eloquence! Mirrors my own thoughts that I never say out loud.Whoops, tears preventing me from seeing.
I understand, I read it in the new Readers Digest and after I could see again, I resolved to type it up and copy and paste it to here.

I agree, I served, I asked for it, I did absolutely nothing heroic. Trust me. I have several medals that say stuff like Valor, or Gallantry on the back, but nothing with heroic.

I think for the vast majority of us who served our country, it was truly selfless service for which we do not seek recognition but appreciate it when given. For me though, I NEVER fail to thank a Vietnam War veteran when I see them. The way our country treated those brothers and sisters when they came home from that war is a stain that will always be with us.

To me there are very few things that even come close to the honor of being a vet.
What ever the reason was to serve, it was carried out despite the risk and possible consequences. To me that is heroic.
I try to say thank you to every vet I see and have taught my girls the same respect. They gladly go up to them and say thank you which seems to brighten thier day.
So to all the vets thank you all and may God bless your lives!
:usflag:

So well put. This one really bugs me. It cheapens the meaning for the real heros.
That one's bugged me too. I knew a LOT of really great folks, many who I would call a hero. But there were a heck of a lot of scumbags too, folks who should never have been allowed to wear the uniform yet alone be called a hero.

I NEVER fail to thank a Vietnam War veteran when I see them. The way our country treated those brothers and sisters when they came home from that war is a stain that will always be with us.
And this is the reason that todays vets are treated so well when they return (as they should be). The country remembers how they treated us.

I agree, I served, I asked for it, I did absolutely nothing heroic. Trust me. I have several medals that say stuff like Valor, or Gallantry on the back, but nothing with heroic.
Roger that. It seems that only a veteran knows the true meaning of the word hero. The media certainly doesn't.

If you were to ask every MOH holder if they did anything heroic they would each say that they only did what needed to be done at the time. period.

I think for the vast majority of us who served our country, it was truly selfless service for which we do not seek recognition but appreciate it when given. For me though, I NEVER fail to thank a Vietnam War veteran when I see them. The way our country treated those brothers and sisters when they came home from that war is a stain that will always be with us.
My father in law, ( RIP Bart) always mentioned that when the subject came up. He did three tours in Nam, the first as a province advisor in 64-65. He was a career artillery officer and did 32 years , finishing as a full Colonel teaching at the War College. He was actually spit upon, and called a baby killer as he walked into the airport when he came back in 70. He never forgot it. He went on to command Ft Monroe, and Ft McLean (spy) and both attended the War College and taught there, also worked at the Pentagon for several years doing who knows what. After retiring in 82 he still he went on to command the Multinational forces in the Sinai, and then as the Military Defense Attaché in Bucharest, Romania. (spy). He still is the greatest man I have ever known, a true family man, God fearing man, so very Kind and thoughtful, a real military man with awards and decorations, from several countries, too numerous to count. I miss him every day.

Auto Transport Service
Back