• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12 Engines

gamercier

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
I located a 440 engine 9A306978 the casting date is 5-23-69. The casting date seams a bit late. What dates were the A12 cars built?

The scheduled dates are 329 and 426.... But that is a scheduled date, the actual dates vary....

According to the registry that VIN is car 471, last recorded to be in Georgia & freshly restored with a replacement block...

I'm betting the owner of the car would love to hear from you...

If the owner has a build sheet the actual date will be easy, otherwise stamped date on the K frame is generally accepted as the closest to actual production date...

Seems like I've heard as late as July....

I am a few days late to this thread. Thank you @dadsbee for pointing it out. Below are my comments to the above posts.

The A12 cars were built from 3/10/69 to 7/11/69, the last day of production at Lynch Road for the 1969 model year. The 329 and 426 dates we see on the fender tags are called program hold dates. No cars were actually produced on these dates. This is the same for the Superbirds with a program hold date of B30.

The actual build date of an A12 car can only be estimated by evaluating the fender tags and the component build dates. This data is then cross referenced with known non-A12 cars. This is why we are constantly searching for more data on Lynch Road tags and component build dates.

The Lynch Road broadcast sheets do not indicate the actual build date of the car. They do present the time of day it was printed, but not the day. The only plant I am aware of this applies to is St Louis. The Chrysler invoice date to the dealership is accepted as the day the car rolled off the assembly line and the true build date. Unfortunately, these documents are quite rare.

As for the original question asked by @gamercier, is the 5/23/69 cast date good. My answer is yes, as production of the A12 went on for 7 weeks after this date. Also, the late May casting dates are very common in the later A12 cars.

@gamercier, can you please let us know what the engine assembly date is on this engine? Based upon the data we have, my guess is around 6/12/69. Without the fender tag, I can only go by the VIN.

D

I am a few days late to this thread. Thank you @dadsbee for pointing it out. Below are my comments to the above posts.

The A12 cars were built from 3/10/69 to 7/11/69, the last day of production at Lynch Road for the 1969 model year. The 329 and 426 dates we see on the fender tags are called program hold dates. No cars were actually produced on these dates. This is the same for the Superbirds with a program hold date of B30.

The actual build date of an A12 car can only be estimated by evaluating the fender tags and the component build dates. This data is then cross referenced with known non-A12 cars. This is why we are constantly searching for more data on Lynch Road tags and component build dates.

The Lynch Road broadcast sheets do not indicate the actual build date of the car. They do present the time of day it was printed, but not the day. The only plant I am aware of this applies to is St Louis. The Chrysler invoice date to the dealership is accepted as the day the car rolled off the assembly line and the true build date. Unfortunately, these documents are quite rare.

As for the original question asked by @gamercier, is the 5/23/69 cast date good. My answer is yes, as production of the A12 went on for 7 weeks after this date. Also, the late May casting dates are very common in the later A12 cars.

@gamercier, can you please let us know what the engine assembly date is on this engine? Based upon the data we have, my guess is around 6/12/69. Without the fender tag, I can only go by the VIN.

D
The numbers on the lower block(vin) is clear along with the casting date. The top pad is strange.

115F0B70-2797-4ED6-B2E7-39E9941C6E36.jpeg

6629EAA0-47AB-4502-9A4B-FF77025E6BAD.jpeg

311D856E-847B-433D-BC48-6F2ED0589979.jpeg

888CFC60-B30A-4535-BC8B-6EAB4C5A8DF5.jpeg

@gamercier. Thank you for posting these up! The EAD pad is a recoil hit of the hammer. EAD is 6 17. I missed it by a couple of days! I am curious to see the fender tag of the 306978 car.

D

I am purchasing the engine and would like to make contact with the owner of the car. I was a little hesitant based on the pad the way it was stamped. The vin looks legitimate on the lower block.

Auto Transport Service
Back