• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12 Super Bee Tribute

A12 Wanna Bee

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
How’s it going everyone? Like many of you I spent my younger years in and out of various dodges and plymouths, always with a strong affection for B bodies in particular. Took a 20+ year hiatus between the last one I sold and my most recent acquisition this summer. My son has been bitten by the bug as well so we are embarking on this journey together. Wanted a running driving project and not a full resto candidate so we can work on it here and there, but still enjoy driving it. We found a 1969 Coronet 440 hardtop, originally a 318 car with factory air. It had started undergoing the “tribute” process by the former owners. I have always loved the ‘69-1/2 A12 aesthetic that’s what hooked me at first & the solid drivetrain including a rowdy sounding 440 six pack was enough to reel me in. Having said that, there is much that still needs to be done. First and foremost is the entire front end needs to be gone through. Quite a bit of play in the steering box, and generally sloppy handling. Being a clone, I have no qualms about updating the suspension with no concerns for originality, though I have no plans of going full restomod, just tasteful stock appearing updates. Anyhow, if anyone has done this type of work on their own car, I’d love to hear from you and welcome your recommendations as there are so many directions to go in this regard.

IMG_5736.jpeg

I like it...
I like day 2 type stuff...
should be a fun car

congrats on the new purchase

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

check out the Resto-Mod & Pro-Touring forum section here
may be right up your alley, lots of that type of builds here
also in members projects & restorations forum section here too

get familiar with the search engine 'on top right of every page'
Probably someone here has been there & done that already
or just casually browse

good luck

Welcome, tributes/clones are great. You can change anything you want, drive it and just have fun

I like it...
should be a fun car

or just casually browse

good luck
I really appreciate the suggestion. Thank you for making me aware.
I like it...
should be a fun car

or just casually browse

good luck
Thanks

Welcome from Illinois!! Congrats on acquiring such a great looking B-Body!!

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That looks like a great project Coronet. Your steering / suspension troubles could be lower A arm inner pivots. Lots of people replace ball joints, the rod ends, etc., but never touch those, because it is such a rotten job.
I bought a new 383 SuperBee in February, 1969, for $3650.00. Little did I know, that if I had waited a couple of months, an additional $400.00 would have gotten me an A12.

Welcome from Illinois!! Congrats on acquiring such a great looking B-Body!!
Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That looks like a great project Coronet. Your steering / suspension troubles could be lower A arm inner pivots. Lots of people replace ball joints, the rod ends, etc., but never touch those, because it is such a rotten job.
I bought a new 383 SuperBee in February, 1969, for $3650.00. Little did I know, that if I had waited a couple of months, an additional $400.00 would have gotten me an A12.
Yes, I am sure those inner pivots should be replaced. Not sure they have ever been touched. In regards to your purchase in 1969… it would have been nice to have a crystal ball right about then.

Welcome from 7 hours north of you on the central coast. Used to live in Ramona for 22 years until we escaped back to the no a/c needed central coast. Like you know, there are plenty of choices for upgrades for the suspension. I'm one for utilizing oe based but upgraded substantially.

Welcome from 7 hours north of you on the central coast. Used to live in Ramona for 22 years until we escaped back to the no a/c needed central coast. Like you know, there are plenty of choices for upgrades for the suspension. I'm one for utilizing oe based but upgraded substantially.
My thoughts exactly!

I would recommend upgrading to the larger tie rod ends, and solid adjuster sleeves when you rebuild the front suspension.

Auto Transport Service
Back