• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 23 and 18 spline Trans

moparfanUSA

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
I have an 833 23 spline trans from a 383 car. I am putting in a 440 six pack in my car and I wanted to know if I can use the 23 spline with the 440. I know it will fit, but what about the power? I am not going to race it, I might get on it once and a while, but other than that it would be a driver. Am I going to be good with it?
Thanks

If the 440 is nearly stock or mildly warmed over (read:not a 512" stroker) the 23 spline will live a long and happy life. If you're pushing 600 hp. well..............

I used to have a '68 RR 383 when i was younger. Abused it on a regular basis, never a problem. Not a 440 but just sayin.:headbang:

That 23 spline will take anything you can give it.

I have a 23 spline (replaced front and rear bearings and rebuilt shifter shortly after purchase in 81) behind a 440 HP2 motor with 11" flywheel setup and I assure you I've been quite hard on it. Engines I've had in the car were 68 HP 383, 64 413 and the present one. I've run 2.76, 3.23, 3.91, and now latest, 4.10 SGs behind it. Never had an issue with it.

I kept my 23 spline trans when I installed my hemi. It puts out 600 hp at the crank and over 500 ft-lb at the rear wheels through most of it's power band. I have had absolutely no problems with it and I stand on it pretty good once in a while.

a833 nick name (rock crushers) that should mean something

My friend had a 23 spline behind a 10-71 blown 440 with 18" wide mickey thompson tires in a 1955 Dodge pickup... never had a problem with it...

a833 nick name (rock crushers) that should mean something

That was a M-22 Muncie close ratio (rock crusher) Sorry I've had some Chevy's too.

The 23 spline will be just fine, like said above unless you have 500+ hp even then you would need to try to kill it.

My buddy had a 23 spline in his 440 Charger and never a problem. Another buddy long ago ran one in his 68 Charger with a built 440 and that car was raced a lot. Car ran low 11's and I think dipped into the 10's once. As far as I know it held up well and he even slick shifted it. Most semi pro or pro racers running in the 10's or better with a 4 spd will probably use a Jerico.

Auto Transport Service
Back