• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A904 trans question

killi6

Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
Hey, guys... when I was moving my Satellite, I realized that whatever gear I put it in, the car rolled freely. Park, reverse... doesn't seem to have any affect on rolling resistance. I mentioned this to my cousin and he said something about the torque converter being out of fluid? Is this like a Johnson rod or blinker fluid or is that a real possibility? I haven't checked everything yet, but I assume that the column shifter is still connected to the trans and everything.

I don't know very much about torque converters. Can you add fluid to them?? I never heard of this. :iamwithstupid:

Is the drive shaft in it or the linkage off? It shouldn't move when in park but will in the other positions and doesn't matter if there's fluid in it or not.....and the pump in the transmission is what fills the converter. If it's not running, the fluid can drain out of the converter and into the trans pan over a period of time.

The drive shaft is in, I haven't inspected in detail under there yet but I know it's there. I can't imagine my brother disconnecting it and putting something there to hang it 12 years ago, so I am assuming that it's still connected and all. Park is supposed to be a latch or pin stuck somewhere in the tranny though, isn't it? I don't want to take the tranny apart. Good thing I'm at least a year from getting it running, but still, I was hoping I wouldn't have to get into the tranny.

Sure sounds like the linkage is not hooked up. It should not move in park and usually makes a noise if the parking pawl is broke and it is moved.

Well the linkage is hooked up... and there's a clicking as I spin the tire when it's in park... that can't be good.

is the clicking coming from the tranny or rear end?

I've had several 904's that the manual arm bushing in the case wore enough for the linkage to slip apart and disconnect itself from the valve body...just a thought

Just a thought here, Have you unhooked the linkage and then manually moved the lever to the park position and see if it holds? Its possible that just a adjustment may be out.

Haven't tried anything new... the clicking comes from the transmission... I'm figuring out how to replace the left front frame rail right now... <sigh>

Auto Transport Service
Back