• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a998 TROUBLE

Mr. Magnum

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I bought this Magnum a couple years ago. Has sat virtually the whole time except for a couple very short runs.

Drove it to the license bureau for a title inspection, and noticed it shifts great, EXCEPT for when it hit 3rd. It acts like it's slipping horribly bad. Drop it back in 2, then back to 3, most times it slips

Fearing the worst, but once or twice it did stay engaged for a while. Sometimes dropping it back in 2nd and up will re-engage it for a time

Shifts from drive to reverse and reverse to drive quickly, 1 & 2 shifts are good. Throttle pressure rod is where I believe it should be. Could it be the shifter not engaging it all the way?

Any ideas? I'm selling this one ( not due to the trans issue ) and want to make it right before it leaves.

High gear clutch isn't holding. Worn reaction shaft rings, front clutch piston seals, worn clutch frictions. Time to take it apart.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back