• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acc. Pump Ghosts

skidmark

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Putting the tune on my 1050 Pro Systems carb when I heard little squirt sounds with air cleaner off and motor off and hot. I could see little intermittent "pump shots" out of both pri and sec nozzles which eventually stopped as it cooled. This is not good. Any fixes? I can't put an insulator in as the air cleaner is hard up against the hood as is. Scoop time I suppose?

How thick is your current base gasket?

Thin. But I can't put in anything thicker as I already have a maxed out drop base AC . No room to go up

What do you mean by "nozzles"? The vent tubes or the accelerator pump shooters?

The fuel is coming out the acc pump shooters. Electric fuel pump by rear axle, line is insulated. Carb is probably getting too hot and boiling fuel I suppose. Motor doesn't run hot or anything like that

Can you raise your hood a bit with the hinges? This is an old Ford trick that's still used by many racers today. if you can get the rear of the hood up some, it might give you enough room to use an insulating base gasket and see if that helps. Also, what kind of PSI are you seeing at the carb after shut down?

Yeah that's a good idea thx. I haven't noted the fuel pressure at shu.tdown but will look at it. I don't currently have a gauge at carb but I have an electric under the dash off the underhood regulator

Auto Transport Service
Back