• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding Passenger Side Mirror

mrsnicks

Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
I have a 71 Charger and would like to add a passenger side mirror. I already have the mirror. Does someone sell mounting kits/template?

Anyone done this before? Tips/Tricks?

Thanks,

Patrick

I recommend re-thinking. Has limited use and is more holes in your original sheetmetal. Use head-checks and hit the gas to get in after passing. Looks clean. Had to do again I would not. Repop did not age well either. If you do, be very careful to get the template you asked for here. Good luck.

I bought an original and put on my 70 RR. I love it, especially when driving in modern traffic with the self important jackwads littering the streets these days. I just measured the driver's side and mirrored the dimensions. Easy.

I bought an original and put on my 70 RR. I love it, especially when driving in modern traffic with the self important jackwads littering the streets these days. I just measured the driver's side and mirrored the dimensions. Easy.

Actually IIR the pass side should be a little further back toward the door handle on original cars but if it works for you thats great

I like having the passenger side mirror especially when backing into a parking spot. If you want to increase your field-of-view then pick up a convex mirror replacement from Advance Auto etc. (typically for a truck, 10 bucks), then cut it down to the correct diameter or shape. Any glass place will do this. Then silicone over top of original mirror. Works great.

Actually IIR the pass side should be a little further back toward the door handle on original cars but if it works for you thats great
That could be. It works where it's at and looks good. I wasn't going to overthink it.

Back to original question. Where can I get a mounting kit? Those who mounted it I'm guessing you just didn't run a sheet metal screw into the door for each hole....

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MP-MF8159&cat=306
Mounting kit for mirror -not what I personally used but would work.

I actually just did this on my 74 RR but had a set of reinforcement plates from some used doors that go on the inside of door and the mirror screws into through two holes. I measured my drivers mirror as someone previously stated and it worked fine for me.

I actually did "just run sheet metal screws into the metal".

So far it's fine. Just don't over tighten it.

Saved me from taking the door panel off and awkwardly holding the backing plate.

Eventually I will get a backing plate, paint the holes, and mount it with the plate.

I'm reasonably certain they are NOT any further back on the passenger's side.

I'm sure we cold check by measuring an original or possibly by the 73/74 Road Runner stripe kits.

Yes, I measured the driver's side from four points.

Be aware that the door handle may not be centered in the recess exactly the same as the other side if you use that as one of your points.

Oh, that.

I forgot there are two different ways.

My friends Challenger has those inserts.

Mine had a backing plate with stamped, threaded holes.

I just did it; with a steel 1/4" (I think) bit. There are a few different kinds, I've installed two, both the standard round chrome mirror, not a sport mirror or anything... but the first time I did it, the base of the mirror has these outward facing bumps that have to correspond with inward facing bumps on the sheetmetal of the door. I believe this may be for remote mirrors only- I'm not sure. But that was a challenge, because both the sheetmetal had to be bent inward and then I had to find the backing plate that also had those bumps (it did not come with my mirror). The most recent one had more of a flat bottom with only the studs sticking out. Super easy install. Just had to prime and paint where I drilled through so it wouldn't rust. Gaskets are tricky (again, the ones I've bought did not have them, so I had to make my own).
I generally measure from the leading edge of the door back to the beginning of the mirror base. Since the leading edge was at an angle, make sure to note that and repeat it on the passenger side.
Then I measure down from either the bottom of the window opening, or a character line in the metal. Then from the leading edge of the door handle to the trailing edge of the base, and then for fun the bottom edge of the door to the bottom of the base. I (tried to) replicate the exact measurements from the driver's door to the passenger side- this is the first post I've seen where the passenger side may be in a differing location, but it makes sense.
I hope this helps- if you have any other questions, I will try to help as best I can.

Last edited:
The mirrors with the "bumps" are 75 and up, and those doors have the corresponding dimples stamped in them.

Auto Transport Service
Back