• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding PS to a Gen II Hemi ?

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
After finishing my '63 MW project, I'm looking ahead to my next money pit, a '65 Coronet Sedan. My '63 is bare bones, No Power steering, or brakes, just that big ol' wheel to crank on, to get it parked, in those tight spots. Thinking of adding the P/S to the Hemi for the '65. Has anyone completed this changeover, and what will I need ? I'm guessing the gear box, p/s pump, and is the steering column different, in length possibly ? Would I need the correct year pump, and would a B/B pump work, say from a '65 383 car ? I've got some time on this, but would like to gather the needed parts. Thanks for any, and all info...

You can use an b/rb pump and brackets on the Hemi. Get a gear box and what ever hoses you will need depending on pump and gearbox fittings..

Might need the 90* brass fitting for the pressure hose on top of steering box.

Maybe consider an electric power assist steering column instead of the usual hydraulic power steering. The electric power assist steering is available on some newer vehicles. A buddy is adapting this on his 64 max wedge Savoy. There is room under the dash to install the pieces.

Maybe consider an electric power assist steering column instead
i love mine, works great, no hydraulic oil and hidden under the dash. gps operated out of a 2007 saturn Vue.

DSCN3509.JPG

DSCN3510.JPG

DSCN3517.JPG

My 65 is not done yet but I'm using a Borgeson box that I got from Peter at BAC, one of our sponsors. My car is an original p/s car. My updates include an Indy low deck all aluminum wedge. Same block they use for the Hemi. No clearance issues, actually better than the stocker. The pump I'm using is for a 99- Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's part of the serpentine drive system I got from Jerry at SD Concepts some years ago. If you want to go Borgeson, contact Peter. There's more to it than just the steering box.

Electric assist for a stock manual steering box???
You mean the 7 turns lock-to-lock 24 to 1 ratio??

Uhh no.
For the hearing impaired……

03D87695-7D0C-48E8-9E16-4A696185FF8B.jpeg

N O !

I appreciate the input from all. Thanks. Looking for details about steering column length. Is manual different than power ?

Electric assist for a stock manual steering box???
1 finger steering ! lol, try it u will like it. best mod i did to the entire car,,i wish i would have known about this long ago...otherwise known as,,Hot rod power steering, summit even sells kits now. i built this 1 for a fraction of what they want.

Auto Transport Service
Back